Previous 1 2 3 Next 30 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2014 11:56 AM by Ralph Johns (UK)
pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I migrated all files from OS 10.7 to OS 10.8 through time machine. However, I always see error packages like the following if I want to run some .pkg files.

 

You can't open the application "..." because it is not supported on this type of Mac.

 

But when I switch to a different account, then the .pkg files can be run. Therefore, I think that there might be something wrong with my account configuration files. But I don't know which one. Does anybody which one might cause the problem and how to fix it? Thanks!


MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)
  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,135 points)

    In your account, select one of the packages and Get Info (cmd-I).

    In the Open With section, browse for Installer which is in the Macintosh HD/System/Library/Core Services folder.

    Then click Change All…

    It sounds like it is pointing to the wrong installer application.

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Barney-15E wrote:

     

    In your account, select one of the packages and Get Info (cmd-I).

    In the Open With section, browse for Installer which is in the Macintosh HD/System/Library/Core Services folder.

    Then click Change All…

    It sounds like it is pointing to the wrong installer application.

     

    It doesn't help.

  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,135 points)

    Can you open the Installer application?

     

    If so, can you select one of the package files in the Open File Dialog? Does that work?

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Barney-15E wrote:

     

    Can you open the Installer application?

     

    If so, can you select one of the package files in the Open File Dialog? Does that work?

     

    I can not open the Installer application. It says:

     

    You can't open the application "Installer" because it is not supported on this type of Mac.

  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,135 points)

    That sounds like the installer didn't get updated, but you said it worked in another account? Is that right?

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Barney-15E wrote:

     

    That sounds like the installer didn't get updated, but you said it worked in another account? Is that right?

    Yes.

  • Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,135 points)

    Very odd. Has to be something in your account that is making it act funny.

     

    Open your user Library by going to Finder, hold down Option (alt) key and select Library from the Go menu.

    Open the preferences folder and delete com.apple.installer.plist.

     

    Then, try again.

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Barney-15E wrote:

     

    Very odd. Has to be something in your account that is making it act funny.

     

    Open your user Library by going to Finder, hold down Option (alt) key and select Library from the Go menu.

    Open the preferences folder and delete com.apple.installer.plist.

     

    Then, try again.

    It doesn't work. I even tried to remove the whole Preferences directory, and it doesn't work either.

  • softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

    Are these two accounts both on the same boot/startup volume?

     

    If yes, do me a favour and list the contents of your Login Items for the account in which .pkg files won't open. You can find the list by going to

     

     > System Preferences > Users & Groups | Login items

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    softwater wrote:

     

    Are these two accounts both on the same boot/startup volume?

     

    If yes, do me a favour and list the contents of your Login Items for the account in which .pkg files won't open. You can find the list by going to

     

     > System Preferences > Users & Groups | Login items

     

    I have the following Login items in the account where the installer can not be opened.

     

    Citations

    Dropbox

    Xmarks for Safari

    VNC Viewer

  • softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

    And both are on the same startup disk, right? Because, to be honest, it's hard to figure out how you could have this problem with both accounts on the same startup disk, so I just want to check that before we get too involved.

     

    Assuming that's the case, the first thing I'd do is remove all those except Dropbox from the list, then restart the mac and test for the problem. If that doesn't solve it, run this free analytical tool and post the results back here so we can see if anything stands out:

     

    http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    softwater wrote:

     

    And both are on the same startup disk, right? Because, to be honest, it's hard to figure out how you could have this problem with both accounts on the same startup disk, so I just want to check that before we get too involved.

     

    Assuming that's the case, the first thing I'd do is remove all those except Dropbox from the list, then restart the mac and test for the problem. If that doesn't solve it, run this free analytical tool and post the results back here so we can see if anything stands out:

     

    http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

     

     

    I have removed these login items. But I can not restart my mac now and I will have to restart it later.

     

    Here is the output of etrecheck. Would you please take a look if there is anything wrong?

     

    Hardware Information:

        MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,1

        1 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4 cores

        16 GB RAM

     

    Startup Items:

        CUDA - Path: /System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

     

    System Software:

        OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006) - Uptime: 3 days 2:52

     

    Disk Information:

        APPLE HDD HTS727575A9E362 disk0 : (750.16 GB)

            disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

            Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /: 749.3 GB (311.8 GB free)

            Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

     

        MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-8A8 

     

    USB Information:

        Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

        Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

            Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse

            Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

        Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

            Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

        Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

        Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

     

    FireWire Information:

     

    Kernel Extensions:

        com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.kext    Version: 1.0

        com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring    Version: 8.0

        com.nvidia.CUDA    Version: 1.1.0

     

    Problem System Launch Daemons:

               [failed]    com.apple.emond.aslmanager.plist

               [failed]    com.apple.xprotectupdater.plist

     

    Problem System Launch Agents:

               [failed]    com.apple.afpstat.plist

     

    Launch Daemons:

               [loaded]    com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

               [loaded]    com.cisco.anyconnect.vpnagentd.plist

               [loaded]    com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.daemon.plist

               [loaded]    com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

               [loaded]    com.timesoftware.timemachineeditor.backupd-auto.plist

               [loaded]    io.redis.server.plist

               [loaded]    org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist

     

    Launch Agents:

               [loaded]    com.adobe.CS4ServiceManager.plist

               [loaded]    com.cisco.anyconnect.gui.plist

               [loaded]    com.google.keystone.agent.plist

               [loaded]    com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist

               [loaded]    com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist

               [loaded]    org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

     

    User Launch Agents:

               [loaded]    com.adobe.ARM.930da3ce175de4e82bd3cdf1dd8571f74bd3b6a7236bc94bfc00f6e9.plist

               [loaded]    com.akamai.single-user-client.plist

               [failed]    com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

               [loaded]    org.apache.couchdb.plist

     

    User Login Items:

        Citations

        Dropbox

        Xmarks for Safari

        VNC Viewer

     

    3rd Party Preference Panes:

        Akamai NetSession Preferences

        CUDA Preferences

        DivX

        Flash Player

        FunctionFlip

        Logitech Control Center

        NuFile

        SwitchResX

        TeXDistPrefPane

        Xmarks for Safari

     

    Internet Plug-ins:

        AdobePDFViewer.plugin

        DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin

        Flash Player.plugin

        FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

        Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

        googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

        iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

        JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

        NPDjVu.plugin

        PrintDialogExt.plugin

        npgtpo3dautoplugin.plugin

        OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

        QuickTime Plugin.plugin

        RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

        Silverlight.plugin

       

    User Internet Plug-ins:

       

    Bad Fonts:

        None

     

    Top Processes:

        11.1  %    WindowServer

        1.4   %    EtreCheck

        0.3   %    vncviewer

        0.1   %    beam.smp

        0.1   %    ps

        0.1   %    JavaApplicationStub

        0.0   %    Cisco

        0.0   %    CoreServicesUIAgent

        0.0   %    Dictionary

        0.0   %    AdobeAcrobat

  • softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

    Click on Finder, hold down the 'option' key and at the same time hit the 'Go' menu at the top of the screen. With 'option' still held down, choose 'Library' from the 'Go' menu.

     

    From the window that opens up, navigate to Library/Launch Agents folder

     

    (note, you must make sure you got to this through the 'go' menu as described, not some way else).

     

    Move the entire contents of that folder (not the folder itself) to your desktop. Restart the mac and try to install a .pkg and see if the problem is solved. If not, move those files back from the desktop to Launch Agents. If yes, move each item back one at a time, restarting and testing .pkg installation after each one, till you find the culprit.

  • pengyu.ut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    softwater wrote:

     

    Click on Finder, hold down the 'option' key and at the same time hit the 'Go' menu at the top of the screen. With 'option' still held down, choose 'Library' from the 'Go' menu.

     

    From the window that opens up, navigate to Library/Launch Agents folder

     

    (note, you must make sure you got to this through the 'go' menu as described, not some way else).

     

    Move the entire contents of that folder (not the folder itself) to your desktop. Restart the mac and try to install a .pkg and see if the problem is solved. If not, move those files back from the desktop to Launch Agents. If yes, move each item back one at a time, restarting and testing .pkg installation after each one, till you find the culprit.

     

    I have moved all the files in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. The problem still exists.

     

    For example, I see the following error, when I try to open the following pkg file.

     

    ~$ open MacPorts-2.1.2-10.8-MountainLion.pkg

    The application cannot be opened because it has an incorrect executable format.

Previous 1 2 3 Next