Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro to External Display!

I have my 13.3'' MBP Retina, and I need to connect to our classroom smartborad. I have the mini display to VGA adapter, and I have plugged it in, but I dont know how to change the video mode to an external display! I really need help, and quick. I dont want to call apple, or smarttech. If you coukld help me I would really be happy. Thanks, Kynan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:24 AM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2012 2:55 PM in response to Kynan Apple Fan

Gather wimdows, mirror, detect if it shows up. Apple keeps re-arraging the furniture. I don' have 10.8.2 yet, just 10.6.8, 10.7.5.

Maybe they finally released a fix,(yesyerday) as the other work arounds have been quite labor intensive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5460

Let me know if this helps, and if not, I will forward some of the myriad of work arounds. By the way my wife is also a teacher with a smart board, so I have had to do some work for her as well. The IT folks tend to never br ther when you need them;)

Dec 17, 2012 3:26 PM in response to sanjampet

Yes, I have already upadated to 10.8.2, and have ALL software, firmware, and all other "wares" upgraded to the latest version. It still will not work with the smart board. And yes, it said "gather windows" When I updated the software, there is no fix for what I have been trying to do. Could you forward me some of those work arounds?

Thanks, Kynan

Dec 17, 2012 4:27 PM in response to Kynan Apple Fan

From: Apple Support Communities Updates <discussions-updates@apple.com>

Date: November 8, 2012 6:08:59 PM EST

To: sanjampet <>

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: MBP and External Monitor - How To Use [y7tzy-2bvga-c1oag]

Reply-To: discussions-replies <discussions-replies@apple.com>

User uploaded file

Apple Support Communities

Re: MBP and External Monitor - How To Use

created by Zyriab in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Both screens are showing a single desktop, which is extended across two screens. When you swipe to another Space it applies to the whole desktop, i.e. to both screens. If you want to keep an application such as Safari permanently on the MBP's screen while changing what appears on the external monitor by swiping between Spaces then right-click the Safari icon in the Dock, select Options and then Assign to "All Desktops". That should do the trick.

Did this help? Go to the message, sign in, and reply

Start a new discussion in the same community

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

Date: November 10, 2012 6:44:44 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [owvgnn-2bvga-c238c]

User uploaded file

Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2

created by KenV54 in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Guess what folks--

With the new Apple software update dated October 30th for the newer MacBook Pro and Retina Pro, you're going to have to once again trash the com.apple.windowserver.plist from the main Library preferences directory, and the com.apple.windoserver.xkpo87455435-08etc.plist from the ByHost directory of the [youruser]/Library/Preferences, along with any onther windoserver plist files you find. It does work, once again.

Doing a PRAM reset alone without removing the plist files did not work for me, even with the HDMI plugged in.

This is supposed to be a Mac software (not firmware) graphics upgrade--I don't know what they improved, but they did reintroduce the HDMI problem.

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

Date: November 13, 2012 6:08:53 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [vs277l-2bvga-c2lkh]

User uploaded file

created by JevGenius in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Hi to every one.
Sorry for my poor english.

I use Apple almost 2y and MS over 18y.
so...

After KenV54 solution i wasn't get success by deleting *windowserver* files. BUT, i was find file

com.apple.preferences.displays2.*.plist and deleted it. after that my MBP 13" 2010 start work nice with HDMI.

houpe it will help to you.

bb

Date: November 20, 2012 9:11:06 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [q20w94-2bvga-c43d2]

User uploaded file

created by ampdeck in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

there is a new patch available for users who upgraded from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 here's the link http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1611

Also, i guess this patch is not applicable for those who reinstalled using clean install of 10.8.2

Date: November 21, 2012 5:12:58 AM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [q20w94-2bvga-c45bb]

User uploaded file

thats a good news.... well my friend and I got same identical model MBP 13" mid-2012 with 10.8.2 that both doesnt work with HDMI using mini display port 😠

Date: November 24, 2012 3:37:57 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [1z1x6w-2bvga-c4tr8]

User uploaded file

created by coomp in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Thanks Ken, I followed the procedure and I am glad I can now use my cinema display with my rMBP. Your time and help is much appreciated. Miguel

Date: November 25, 2012 9:21:54 AM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [c042jj-2bvga-c4ys5]

User uploaded file

well in my case there's no com.apple.windows plist under my Library/Preferences that I can delete in order for my external display to work.

Date: November 26, 2012 3:47:57 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [ip1b91-2bvga-c592f]

User uploaded file

created by fahn5150 in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

HI KenV54,

This solved my problem !!!

Date: December 5, 2012 8:09:43 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [64hxqd-2bvga-c7gp2]

User uploaded file

created by jrodwell in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Thank you Ken. I had posted on this problem elsewhere in the discussions but never found what would work until I ran across this thread. Your instructions worked perfectly!

-John

Date: December 11, 2012 1:01:56 PM EST

Subject: [iTunes for Mac] - Re: Minimizing the Window in iTunes 11 - Gone? [6poh97-2bvga-c8q82]

User uploaded file

Re: Minimizing the Window in iTunes 11 - Gone?

created by dtsbarber in iTunes for Mac - View the full discussion

1.Quit iTunes

2. Open terminal

3. Type defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -1

4. Hit enter

5.. Enjoy the glorius green red and yellow button

Date: December 11, 2012 9:23:27 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [bgwaip-2bvga-c8toc]

User uploaded file

Nunorasheed,

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Obviously, it was a different problem from what people are having with their Retina MacBook Pros.

Ken

Date: December 11, 2012 9:40:16 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [bgwaip-2bvga-c8tyn]

User uploaded file

Skeeter,

Your case remains a mystery. And it's true that not all Apple geniuses are created equal.

My guess is that you will have to do a completely clean install of the OS if you haven't done so already. If you have a Time Machine complete backup it should be so bad to do a clean install. Alternatively, you can clone your present HD (I use Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external drive, then wipe your Mac HD, reinstall 10.8.2 and all the OS updates, and see if the HDMI works. Then do a migration from the cloned external HD via USB 3.0 or firewire, as if the external drive were your old computer (which it is, in fact). It shouldn't put back any corrupted OS files that may be causing this HDMI problem, although you may have to remove the windowserver plists again.

Good luck.

Ken

Date: December 11, 2012 11:12:24 PM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [bgwaip-2bvga-c8ujt]

User uploaded file

created by skeeter2u in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Thanks, KenV54, I will try a clean install, then report back on whether or not it worked.

Skeeter.

Date: December 13, 2012 2:56:59 AM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [lxzc6r-2bvga-c93bf]

User uploaded file

created by Juhaz in MacBook Pro - View the full discussion

Same here. Same problem since 10.8.,2 upgrade was made. It seems that Apple can not solve older MBP (Mac Book Pro 17-inch, mid 2010) HDMI problems. I use my Mac in business and I have to have this problem solved. Otherwise I have to go back to Win computers. Shame on Mac.

Date: December 13, 2012 11:13:16 AM EST

Subject: [MacBook Pro] - Re: HDMI display issues after 10.8.2 [lxzc6r-2bvga-c95nb]

User uploaded file

Ampdeck,

Are you using a Retina MBP or an older MBP?

See my reply to Juhaz above.

Ken

<Email Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro to External Display!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.