Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word and Excel crash when i want to save a file since upgrading to Mountain Lion. I have removed and then reinstalled MS office 2008 but to no avail.Please advise

Word and Excel crash when i want to save a file since upgrading to Mountain Lion. I have removed and then reinstalled MS office 2008 but to no avail.Please advise

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), Time Capsule (1TB, 2009)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:38 AM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2012 11:03 AM in response to ericfromdenhaag

I would try looking for an answer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/support

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword

You aren't the only one having problems. If you monitor the "More Like This" box, other threads appear. Opening them usually displays other threads. Hopefully, someone will post a fix.

Have you tried running Disk Utility/Repair permissions? It may not do any good, but you'll get your permissions straight.🙂

I have Office 2008 and it works on my iMac. Not that helps you.🙂

Dec 18, 2012 4:51 AM in response to ericfromdenhaag

Try moving the Microsoft User Data folder out of your Documents folder. If it runs fine after moving it, there was something in there that was confusing Office. If not, you can move it back, replacing the one that got created. The MUD folder contains your Entourage database, so if you use Entourage, you will need to move those databases back into the newly created MUD folder if that fixes the problem.

Another place for startup problems is in your Preferences folder ( in your user Library--to get there, hold down the option key and select Library from the Go menu in Finder). You could try moving anything with Microsoft in the name. Then see if it works. The preferences store all of the user settings in the programs. They will get recreated with all the default settings. If that doesn't fix the problem, I would seek help on the Microsoft web site.

Dec 18, 2012 8:39 AM in response to ericfromdenhaag

In response to the suggestions, I have updated to 10.8.2 (the 10.8.2 supp update refuses to install).

The Micorsoft user data folder was in "programs"; I moved it to " documents", but it has no effect on the (not) working of the save command in Word and Excel.

Any additional suggestion is welcome (except buying a new version of Office for Mac).

Dec 18, 2012 8:43 AM in response to ericfromdenhaag

ericfromdenhaag wrote:

In response to the suggestions, I have updated to 10.8.2 (the 10.8.2 supp update refuses to install).

The Micorsoft user data folder was in "programs"; I moved it to " documents", but it has no effect on the (not) working of the save command in Word and Excel.

That was wrong and the subsequent move may also have caused issues. The MUD folder should not be in Programs (because there is no folder 'Programs' in OSX), remove Office (use the supplied uninstaller, and check for other versions to remove) and start again. Follow the exact instructions and do not change any of the defaults.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.