7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 1:39 PM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I'm making a simple list of songs. To make it a bit more interesting, I'm adding YEAR, and TIME (song duration). The problem I'm having is that whenever I type the duration of the song, Numbers takes over and adds "AM" to the time. I've  tried changing the column header to "Min/Sec" and "Duration" but "AM keeps being added. How can I eliminate this unwanted addition? Deleting "AM" only makes it worse. I then get the day of the week, and the month, day and year added.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Wayne Contello Level 6 Level 6 (16,185 points)

I would actually enter the duration in the duration format...

instead of entering, for example, "6:21" enter "6m 21s".

Oh... and I would preformat the cells a "Duration"

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I knew I could depend on the Apple support team, so I just went ahead on my table, except for the "duration" column. I just finished (I'm a slow typist), and I'm now ready for that. I just have one question, what is "preformatting"? What do I need to do to finish that coumn?

• Wayne Contello Level 6 Level 6 (16,185 points)

preformatting was short hand for ... select the cells you want formatted a a duration, select the duration format from the cells inspector before entering data... that's it.  nothing special.

I hope this helps

Wayne Contello wrote:

preformatting was short hand for ... select the cells you want formatted a a duration, select the duration format from the cells inspector before entering data... that's it.  nothing special.

I hope this helps

I don't understand what you're trying to say here, but the fix you suggested earlier works. Seems lie a strange way to do things, but it enabled me to complete my projec. Thanks for your help.

• Barry Level 7 Level 7 (29,480 points)

Hi Niku,

Nothing really strange about it—Numbers, unlike many spreadsheet applications, recognizes there is a difference between "Time" (a specific instant in history, which includes representation of a date and the time of day on that date), and "Duration" (the amount of 'time' that has passed between two events, or between the beginning and end of a specific event.

Regarding 'pre-formatting' cells as Duration:

Select the the column that will contain the length of each item in minutes and seconds.

Open the Inspector, choose the Cell Format Inspector (42), then select Duration from the pop-up menu.

Picture 11.png

After this selection, use the sliders to set the units to minutes and seconds, and the format to one of the three shown.

Picture 12.png

Then enter the length of each piece into the formatted column, using the formay you'e chosen.

Picture 13.png

Regards,

Barry

You're really giving me an education. Actually, I only wanted to be able to use "Numbers," but it seems that I can't without knowing much more. Anyway, since I didn't understand what you were saying, I didn't go through the process you've just outlined, and I was able to acomplish what I had intended. I don't yet know enough to know what that means, but it looks like the time has come to print the 255-page manual, so that I can give myself a better chance (reading it from the screen is just not a satisfactory option to me. I just wish there was a printed manual available. I'd pay $15 to $25 in a second).

I'm now waiting for a call from Office Depot to tell me when my copy of Numbers' User Guide will be ready. That's right, I just learned that Office Depot or Office Max, for two, can print a book if you send them the PDF file. You probably already knew this, but I didn't, and this discovery makes this a memorable Christmas for me. Anyway, I said that I'd be willing to pay from $15 to $25, and they must have been listening, because it cost me $23.46. I'm certainly not complaining.