Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro really slow and hot

Hi,

So my new macbook has been slow for a while but its finally gotten to the point of frustration! I have a lot of browser orientated work and therefore i have to run firefox, chrome and safari all at once. This causes my laptop to be reallyyy slow even if i only have one tab on each. The issue is just as bad when i use firefox and chrome.

I notice that my laptop sits at 75 while doing this, and the fans at 2.6krpm strangely my macbook pro also games at this temperature, granted the fans are at 5000rpm then.

Is this normal? Should i take my macbook pro back to apple?

Note: My CPU idle is at 96% if that helps

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:20 PM

5 replies

Dec 17, 2012 3:26 PM in response to PrinceAceboy

Which os version are you using?

How large is your hard drive and how much hard drive space do you have left?

How much ram do you have? Is it maxed out?

Please describe in detail all you have attempted to do in order to resolve your issues.

User Tip: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat?

Per your user manual: Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.

From MacBook Pro: Care, Use, and Safety Information

For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2012 3:40 PM in response to PrinceAceboy

Your issue is not uncommon, try this as it has worked for some. Take soms 1"X1" (or so) strips of wood or HDPE, or as one user used 4 scotch caps of the same hight. This will raise the MBP off the flat surface and allow air to circulate around the whole unit, the exhaust is in the back, under the hinge, so keep this area clear. I built a laptop tray for my kid who dose a lot video, which generates plenty of heat, mentioned on apost and it seemed to solve the heat problem for quite a few. All the best, SJP

May 8, 2013 2:16 PM in response to PrinceAceboy

Bump. Curious to know if you had any further insights into this. I've noticed that when running Chrome and Safari simultaneously I'll experience system slowdown with the dreaded beachball popping up in other apps as well. Killing Safari or Chrome always makes things better: as long as I'm running just one, no problem. Both?Fuggetaboutit! I can't seem to find this problem documented elsewhere, and as you mention a three browser scenariou being common, wonder if running a single browser session improves things. --b

Macbook pro really slow and hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.