Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change permissions on a Bootcamp drive

I've installed a Bootcamp-exclusive SSHD on/in my MacPro (running 10.8.2 MtnLion). I'v elogged-in to this disk with no troubles, loaded Win7 64bit, all OK!

Problem is - while I'm booted in regular ol' Mac-OS MtnLion, and I try to drag file over into that BootCamp HD, I've learned I only have "Read Only" rights/permissions - and I"m on the Admin account/user of this Mac.

What up? How can I change those rights to read/write? Do I have to reformat the BootCamp partition? Lord I hope not!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can lend a hand.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.2 GHz Quad-Core; 1TB HD

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:09 PM

Don't change permissions, this problem is caused by the differing formats of the operating systems. HFS for Mac, and NTFS for Windows. Changing permissions will have no affect.

You need (but I do not recommend) 3rd party file system add-ons to bridge the gap, or an external drive (formatted as FAT or exFAT) to share between the 2 operating systems.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2012 6:09 PM in response to webdrum007

Don't change permissions, this problem is caused by the differing formats of the operating systems. HFS for Mac, and NTFS for Windows. Changing permissions will have no affect.

You need (but I do not recommend) 3rd party file system add-ons to bridge the gap, or an external drive (formatted as FAT or exFAT) to share between the 2 operating systems.

Dec 17, 2012 6:33 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks Csound1 - I have completely lost my mind and forgotten about Tuxera or NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS for Mac OS-X.

I was reminded of these solutions when I saw a similar post (a few minutes ago) by an old reliable wizard named "Hatter" (here in the forums).

Curious, why don't you recommend such third-party solutions?

Thanks for taking some time to lend a hand! Folks like you make this forum as successful as it is! ➕

Dec 17, 2012 6:39 PM in response to webdrum007

webdrum007 wrote:

Thanks Csound1 - I have completely lost my mind and forgotten about Tuxera or NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS for Mac OS-X.

I was reminded of these solutions when I saw a similar post (a few minutes ago) by an old reliable wizard named "Hatter" (here in the forums).

Curious, why don't you recommend such third-party solutions?

I'm cautious, and I use an online sync service to put my files anywhere I want, regardless of file system or permissions.

And yes, trust the Hatter 🙂

change permissions on a Bootcamp drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.