Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding new wallpapers to Mountain Lion

I've been in the process of resizing some photographs I've taken into the screen resolution for the 27 inch iMac, and also I've been downloading some too from various wallpaper websites.

When I get my iMac, I am wanting to add these wallpapers into the same folder/location that that pre installed wallpapers are stored so that all my wallpapers are in this one location.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I do this?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:48 AM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2012 2:07 PM in response to sbriss

sbriss wrote:

In the Desktop and Screen Saver pane from System Preferences you can add a folder in the sidebar. Ok they won't be in the same folder as the ones that came with your mac but they will be very accessible.

Yeah that would make more sense, I could create a folder called Custom Wallpapers and place all my own wallpapers in there and leave the pre installed ones where they are. Thanks very much for the help its appreciated.

Dec 18, 2012 2:13 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

To be honest it's best to keep the new images in your iPhoto or other (Aperture, Lightroom etc..) library and then simply direct the screen saver to look in those libraries when you want to use them. This is much more simple than navigating within OS X, especially if you are a novice to OS X.

Thanks very much for the help. Yeah that would make more sense.

Like I said earlier, I could create a folder called Custom Wallpapers and place all my own wallpapers in there and leave the pre installed ones where they are. Providing its an easy enough task for a novice, then I should be OK.

Dec 18, 2012 2:27 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Alberto Ravasio wrote:

The computer's desktop pictures are located in

/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/

You must authenticate to put files in that directory because is only writable by root.

Alberto.

When you say "You must authenticate to put files in that directory". Does this mean I would be presented with a password prompt where I would then need to enter my password before the files would be allowed to be copied to the folder you mentioned?

Dec 18, 2012 11:39 PM in response to tal1971

tal1971 wrote:

When you say "You must authenticate to put files in that directory". Does this mean I would be presented with a password prompt where I would then need to enter my password before the files would be allowed to be copied to the folder you mentioned?

Yes. That's correct.

If you are using an admin user it will be asked for the password only. Otherwise if you are using a standard user, you must provide both an admin username and its password.

But as others suggested, it is better to keep a wallpapers' dedidicated folder inside your user folder.

Dec 18, 2012 11:55 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Alberto Ravasio wrote:

tal1971 wrote:

Yes. That's correct.

If you are using an admin user it will be asked for the password only. Otherwise if you are using a standard user, you must provide both an admin username and its password.

But as others suggested, it is better to keep a wallpapers' dedidicated folder inside your user folder.

Thanks very much for the help Alberto its much appreciated.

I would be setting up only one account on the iMac, and this would be an Admin account/user. Myself and my girlfriend would just share this one account, which is what we've done for years on our current Windows PC.

I agree, it is going to be easier to have a dedicated folder for placing my own wallpapers, like what sbriss suggested earlier. I can give this folder a descriptive name such as Custom Wallpapers, so that it would be easy to find. Thanks again for the help everyone, its been much appreciated 🙂

Dec 19, 2012 12:22 AM in response to tal1971

tal1971 wrote:

I would be setting up only one account on the iMac, and this would be an Admin account/user. Myself and my girlfriend would just share this one account, which is what we've done for years on our current Windows PC.

It is better to have at least 2 accounts. The first one, administrator, a second and subsequent users as standard users, for safety reason.

OS X, in this respect, is much more well designed than Windows.

That is, in my opinion, the main stream of infection, particularly among windows users.

Adding new wallpapers to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.