Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leave Emails in Mail Client Unread until I open it in at the device

Hi there,

I am using: Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C2034)

I am also using iPhone and whenever I open an email on my iPhone it automatically marks that email on Mail (iMac) as read which I belive is sync. It there any way I leave the emails as unread on iPhone and Mail (iMac) until I open the email on that particular device, like if I open an email on iPhone it doesn't mark that email as READ on iMac Mail and vice versa.

I am using multiple GMail accounts.

Help Appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheers!

iMac, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:21 PM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2012 4:52 AM in response to Shakirali

One thing you can do is to change you Gmail accounts from IMAP to POP. IMAP keeps the mail on Gmail servers, and as you've found, once you read it, it's marked as read. With POP mail, the mail is donwloaded to each device to be read and acted on.

See this for a more detailed explanation about IMAP and POP, and how to configure them for Gmail.

Leave Emails in Mail Client Unread until I open it in at the device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.