You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to copy text from playlists in iTunes 11?

With iTunes 11 Apple kicked out the opportunity to copy information from playlist columns as text. Now copy/paste only gives you loudspeaker symbols. Exporting a playlist is no workaround because this does not export the columns specified by you and shown in the playlist but only columns Apple pre-defined for the process. Any ideas how to solve the problem? Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:12 AM

11 replies

Jul 6, 2017 4:45 AM in response to Spookycatboy

This may not meet your needs exactly, but one thing you can do is:

• Select the playlist and then File > Print (or just type Command-P).
  • In the box that appears, you probably want to select Song List, though there's a way to do this with the CD Jewel case setting.
  • Select the list format you want from the Theme menu with the up-down arrows.
  • Click on Print...
  • In the new box that opens, click on PDF in the lower left. Now you can choose to view the PDF to get a detailed look at how the list will appear, and/or save it to your computer (or actually print it, if you into that).
  • You can produce a more compact list by choosing CD jewel case insert and, from the Theme menu, Large Playlist (Black & White). This will display nothing but Song and Artist, which may be exactly what you want.

Cheers

Jul 5, 2017 5:11 PM in response to 99ersgo!

I've been struggling to find a solution to this also. All I want is a simple list of songs with corresponding artists and I haven't been able to do it since back when I had a PC. I'm guessing it's no longer possible on Windows now either. I used to posts these lists in various groups and blogs. Luckily, back in the day, I saved several playlists as Word Pad documents which I was able to open with Text Edit. Those documents I can still edit manually. But I'm still unable to export a New Playlist in a similar fashion. Please change this Apple.

Dec 18, 2012 9:09 AM in response to 99ersgo!

I just tried to export a Playlist to a text file and it does look like a mess in there when you look at it with text edit.

However when you open with Numbers ( I am sure Excel could do it as well) you get the playlist with 25 columns displayed in a neat grid.

So I would guess the answer to your issue is to open in numbers and delete the columns you don't want.

Jan 14, 2013 6:31 PM in response to 99ersgo!

I need to do this almost every day. I have to email lists of songs with certain colums of metadata incuded. I used to past directly into email but now I just have to paste the playlist text first into a text document and then copy and paste that into an email. It works to do this with excel too, but it is more cumbersome and yields some different results.

Jan 14, 2013 7:15 PM in response to bdevoid

Check out Doug's iTunes Scripts which will provide you with various options on how to sort and format playlists as text files. The provided link will list various Apple Scripts you can use to get the results you want. There are some older scripts further down that still work with the latest iTunes 11 and will give you lots of sorting options. Doug is the Apple Script Guru and if you find his scripts useful he will appreciate a donation. If you haven't used Apple Scripts in iTunes, the scripts come with a Readme and clear instructions on how to use them.

Oct 29, 2013 2:24 AM in response to grip05

Ah, great, thanks. This did not work for me when the new iTunes-version originally was released but maybe during the course of the last updates Apple has changed something that makes this a workaround. I would not have tried this again if you had not told me.

In case Appe is listening: I still would prefer to simply copy/paste my choice of columns into any document I need to have them in. Thanks!

Any way to copy text from playlists in iTunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.