Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use iPhone's wifi (not from cellular data plan) to connect my pc to the internet?

Hi,

I've been wondering a while and been unable to find any solution. So, hope you guys can help me. I have an iPhone with a wifi connection to my university, but it only limits to 1 device. How do I use that connection for my laptop too? Is it possible to tether using iPhone's wifi instead of its cellular data plan?????

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:21 PM

9 replies

Dec 18, 2012 2:21 AM in response to wjosten

The thing is, I want it to be other way around. My laptop couldn't connect to the wifi because it's not allowed, but my iPhone can connect to the wifi. If I create ad hoc, then it would mean I would join my laptop's connection right'?

How do I let my laptop to connect to the connection on my iPhone? It's like a sort of free loading.

Dec 18, 2012 2:27 AM in response to wchowin

Well, there is no way to do what you want, using your iPhone. To do what you want, using your phone, requires tethering your laptop to your phone. This requires setting up Personal Hotspot, which requires using your phone's cellular data plan.

Never heard of this:

"My laptop couldn't connect to the wifi because it's not allowed, but my iPhone can connect to the wifi."

Seems like an idiotic policy, if true.

Dec 18, 2012 2:33 AM in response to wjosten

Never heard of this:

"My laptop couldn't connect to the wifi because it's not allowed, but my iPhone can connect to the wifi."

Seems like an idiotic policy, if true.

Well, my university limits one device per student, so I chose my iPhone as this is obviously my primary portable device. Thanks though, I know that I could only tether it through my cellular data. I'm just wondering whether what I want is possible.

Feb 10, 2013 5:13 PM in response to wjosten

Hi

My situation is: my neighbor lets me use her wifi. For some reason my computer will not connect to it. I have tried and tried. Other people's laptops have connected to it at my house and my laptop connects to other wifi networks when I take it out. So for this reason I wanted to do the same as is being discussed here. I don't understand why apple doesn't allow this in IOS. I'm not trying to get over on anything. I no longer have a service plan and use my phone as an iPod touch. I can't believe there is no app to deal with this...? What is the reason for this do you know?

How do I use iPhone's wifi (not from cellular data plan) to connect my pc to the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.