Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leave eMail Unread (GMail)

Hi there,

Already using iPhone, recently switched from PC to iMac and have a small issue with Mail that whenever I open any emails on my iPhone it marks the same email on iMac as "Read" and vice versa.

I need to keep emails on both devices as "UNREAD" until I open the email on that particular device. I do not want to automatically mark (sync) the email on iMac which I open on iPhone and vice versa. I have multiple GMail accounts.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:01 AM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2012 4:38 AM in response to Shakirali

That's part of the purpose of IMAP. Email is kept on the server, to be accessed anywhere and synchronized between those "anywheres."

You would need an email Client that allowed you to selectively mark messages as read (or not at all). Neither the iPhone or OS X Mail allows that, as far as I could find. I couldn't find any options for that in Gmail's settings, either.

Another option would be to switch to POP, which would require downloading the messages to each device, not synchronize them, and leave them unread on each device. You would also have to set up each device to leave the email on the server for a period of time so that you could be sure you downloaded it to all devices.

Leave eMail Unread (GMail)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.