Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Safari on www.facebook.com I can't do "likes" or "shares"

iPad Safari on www.facebook.com I can't do "likes" or "shares", don't accept any touch

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:29 AM

Facebook apparently changed their coding a bit ago and it doesn't play well with mobile browsers. It's up to facebook to fix it (Nothing is wrong with your iPad). You can only find work arounds until facebook fix them. Use the facebook app, use a third party app (probably a better bet since the official facebook app doesn't exactly have great reviews).

Or you can simply not access facebook on your mobile device at all until it's fixed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2012 4:29 AM in response to Macfree

Facebook apparently changed their coding a bit ago and it doesn't play well with mobile browsers. It's up to facebook to fix it (Nothing is wrong with your iPad). You can only find work arounds until facebook fix them. Use the facebook app, use a third party app (probably a better bet since the official facebook app doesn't exactly have great reviews).

Or you can simply not access facebook on your mobile device at all until it's fixed.

Dec 20, 2012 6:17 PM in response to Macfree

So you think Apple should just ignore the incompatibility and say "not our problem"?.

When thousands of iPad users are inconvenienced and angry, and it just happened to coincide with when they upgraded their Apple iOS, that SHOULD be a problem Apple wants to work WITH Facebook staff to address.

Particularly since iPad user's options now are:

1) go back to our desktops

2) get Surface tablets because FYI I'm told those CAN still access Facebook

3) use one of the available Facebook Apps (ALL of which have less functionality than the main site), and be dissatisfied with the experience

4) advise all their friends (if its not too late) NOT to upgrade to iOS 6.01 (I upgraded my iPad but not my iPhone and Facebook is still working fine on my phone, which IS a mobile browser).

Dec 20, 2012 6:37 PM in response to iGabby

iGabby wrote:

So you think Apple should just ignore the incompatibility and say "not our problem"?.

So, the fact that Facebook, over which Apple has no control, changed the coding of their site to something nonstandard is somehow Apple's problem to fix? Is Apple supposed to tweak Safari everytime a popular website decides to do something strange? What if FB and, Twitter, for example, decide to make mutually incompatibile changes? What does Apple do then?

iPad Safari on www.facebook.com I can't do "likes" or "shares"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.