Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do bought from Apple Store iPhones get locked to first sim carrier?

I have bought many iPhones for myself and my family over the years and always on contract, UNTIL the iPhone 5. When it came out, I decided to avoid all the unlocking mess and contract handset subsidy thing and buy an unlocked (or so I thought) iPhone 5 from Apple. Now, someone told me the other day, that the 'unlocked' handset becomes locked to the carrier of the first sim that is inserted.

Surely this can't be true, is it?

 iPhone 4S 32Gb,  AppleTV2-OTHER,  iPad 32Gb Wi-Fi  iMac 27" 3.4GHz

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:40 AM

16 replies

Dec 18, 2012 2:00 AM in response to wjosten

Thanks for that. Part of the reason I ask is because I bought a iP4 for my son second hand which was advertised as being unlocked as it was bought from an Apple Store, but on receipt, it is locked to O2.

The seller was surprised about this and rang Apple. They confirmed that the handset woould be locked to the carrier of the first sim, and that we would have to go to them to get it unlocked.

I'm confused!

Dec 18, 2012 2:07 AM in response to igmackenzie

Again, in the UK, Apple is the only source for officially unlocked iPhones. Apple stores do, however, sell both: officially unlocked and locked without contract. If you purchase an officially unlocked iPhone, directly from Apple, it is, in fact, officially unlocked.

Sounds like you need to question the veracity of the seller's statements.

Dec 18, 2012 2:39 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie wrote:

I just can't see the benefit or reason for Apple to sell a locked handset.

You can't, but Apple's partner carriers can. Apple does this to protect their relationships with their partner carriers. Typically, when an iPhone model is first introduced, Apple will only sell locked without contract phones for the first month or so. Once launched, then Apple will start selling officially unlocked models. Again, this is done to protect the relationships Apple has with the various carriers. Remember, Apple doesn't own any networks, they just make the hardware & are dependent on carriers to make the phone available on various networks.

Dec 18, 2012 2:47 AM in response to wjosten

Hi all,

I am the seller of this particular iPhone 4. The phone was bought from Exeter Apple store for £599. As I paid for the phone I expected it to be usuable on any Netwrok, no mention was made at the point of sale that it was only valid on one carrier.

Apple support told me today that it locked to the first SIM inserted.

02 support told me today they had seen iPhones become locked to thier network even though they were bought SIM free.

Either way it's a complete Nightmare sorting out what's going on here!

Seb

Dec 18, 2012 3:14 AM in response to Ihavenoideas

Ihavenoideas wrote:

Apple support told me today that it locked to the first SIM inserted.

02 support told me today they had seen iPhones become locked to thier network even though they were bought SIM free.

Either way it's a complete Nightmare sorting out what's going on here!

Seb

Apple support have told me today that their unlocked handsets are locked to the carrier of the first sim card inserted. BUT, they also said that doing a forced restore in iTunes with a different carrier's sim will then lock it to that carrier.

However, I was also told that certain sim cards can totally lock handsets. This I find disturbing. Take the scenario that you want to check to see if a handset is unlocked. Standard procedure is to try a sim from another carrier. You'd get a bit of a suprise when you put your original sim back into your phone to find that it no longer works as it's been locked to another carrier!

Do bought from Apple Store iPhones get locked to first sim carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.