Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I set up a centerfold using one graphic

My husband and I recently took over editing a newsletter for our car club. The previous editor used InDesign which we don't have. We are recreating it in Pages and so I have some formatting questions. The newsletter is really in a magazine format, 8.5x11 and is about 20 pages long. I had to set up the pages to have a 0.125 marginal bleed for the publisher. I have to include a centerfold which is one picture. I don't know how to set this up in pages. I think I need to create a new section and have that page be 17" wide but "insert section" is grayed out. I'd appreciate anyone's guidance, thanks!

MacBook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV, iPod, iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:43 AM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2013 8:59 AM in response to olsena2

Thanks for the suggestions, the printer was able to accept a separate pdf so that got us set up for January's edition but I still want to get it in the template.

Peter - do you know how to split a pdf in half vertically?

I still think the ideal way to handle it is to be able to insert one 17" wide page and keep the rest of the publication as 8.5x11. There has got to be a way to do this.

Jan 7, 2013 9:32 AM in response to olsena2

Pages does not have spreads or bleeds or many Pro features.

It is really a case of Back to the Future, doing what I used to have to do in the 1980's. Just repeat the image twice, once on the left half of the spread and once on the right half of the spread. If it is a photo it is easy to actually split it into two halves using Photoshop, Pixelmator etc. which keeps the file size down.

Splitting pdfs is really just the same as repeating individual objects, the basic pdf doesn't change it is simply masked into 2 halves.

As I said if you want to maintain the spread as editable do what I suggested in my first post.

Peter

how do I set up a centerfold using one graphic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.