Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hitachi hard drive clicking when idle

I recently changed the hard drive that came with my MBP with a larger one from a different vendor. The newer is an Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB, coded as HTS541010A9E680. The drive works great with no issues. However, the only thing I'm worried about is that the drive keeps making clicks every few seconds (like 3, 5 or 10) only when idling.

I googled this and found out that might be a safe feature parking the heads when they're not in use. Besides, the phone support secured that there's nothing to worry as long as the clicks are heard only when idling.

Even if there's nothing to worry about, I have to say it's really annoying! I gotta play some sounds when working in silence, as I can't stand this endless clicks. I'd post this on the Hitachi forums as a feedback, if those were accessible. The product feedback would be overall positive, but I don't know whether the disk is gonna breakdown quickly, as it's the first time I'm experiencing something similar. Regardless the disk I always regularly back up my data on TM.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:24 AM

Don't have a few clicks making you paranoid. Harddisks do that, and if it's getting too bad, send your Mac to sleep or turn some music on instead of listening to something meaningless! 😉

6 replies

Jul 15, 2013 9:25 AM in response to BenHolt87

I had to step back to the original Toshiba 500GB, while I returned the Hitachi to the company. They sent me back a similar piece (a little older refurbished one) who did exactly the same behaviour. I'd advice you not to get any RMA: you'll wast money. I gave it to a friend of mine who needed a Time Machine drive for his new iMac (he still owes me the money, btw!). The disk actually works very well, as external, but it's impossible to leave it as internal on my MBP!

I'm considering to wait for the new Seagate Laptop SSHD ST1000LX003, a 1TB equipped with 32GB NAND: a friend of mine purchased the previous generation, called Momentus XT (just 8GB, though!), and I can confirm that in his MBP (similar to my MBP) works great.

Oct 28, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Streeme

There is a fix for this and while farily straightforward in theory, takes a bit more to get executed.

Here is how you fix it:

1. Download hdapm and install the package.

2. Identify the disk you want to modify through disk utility or other method.

3. Open a terminal window and input the following:

sudo hdapm diskX power_setting

Problem is, you can't just do this.......

When that's done, you will need to identify what /dev object is the USB drive. I did this using dmesg and scrolling through the log. mine was sdb

Then (http://www.devslashzero.com/node/160):

sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/yourdisk -I

I then mounted the iso in Fusion to gain access to the files. Then you need to mount your newly formatted USB drive:

sudo mkdir /media/usb

sudo mount /dev/yourdisk /media/usb

Then, copy files from the .iso to the usb:

sudo cp -rf casper boot efi install pics pool preseed .disk /media/usb

sudo cp -rf isolinux /media/usb/syslinux

cd /media/usb/syslinux

sudo mv isolinux.cfg syslinux.cfg

You will need to download and install syslinx and mtools if they are not in your distro. They were in mine. Then:

cd ~

sudo amount /dev/yourdisk

sudo syslinux /dev/yourdisk

Now the drive is bootable. I had to do this twice, but I think it was because of the eject process within the VM and host. This worked:

sudo eject /dev/yourdisk

Then detach the USB drive from the VM in the VM settings and physically remove from the host (don't mess around with it from the host perspective)

Shutdown the MBP, insert the USB and then power on and hold the alt/option key. The usb drive should now show up as EFI Boot. Congratulations!

Select it and then select the live demo version.

Get into the desktop, launch terminal and identify the /dev/ information for the disk you want to change.

run the hdparm info above, it should show successful.

Reboot and this time go back into OS X

Once back, open terminal and execute the hdapm command again. It should show successful.

To validate that it will hold its settings after reboot, check the hdapm.plist file located in /Library/LaunchDaemons.

Open it with Text Edit and check for:

<array>

<string>/usr/local/bin/hdapm</string>

<string>disk2</string>

<string>192</string>

</array>

where disk2 is yourdisk and 192 is the power setting you set in your command.

Done. No more clicking and your drive will live longer too.

Hitachi hard drive clicking when idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.