Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Sorting in ML to the way I want

The new desktop Sorting process in ML is annoying. In earlier OS versions, the items on the desktop got sorted when I clicked on the Arrange By option in View. Then if I moved items on the desktop, they stayed where they were moved until I did Arrange By again. This was very handy, because I could keep track of where things were with a visual image in my mind.

In ML, everything instantly re-Sorts when anything is added or moved. If I try to find something that was there before, I have to run my eyes through all the re-arranged columns. And if I click and drag something to a different place on the desktop, it instantly snaps back to where it was. I no longer feel like I am the master of my own desktop.

I could select None as an option in Sort By, but that scatters everything at random to where it apparently was at some unknown time in the past.

Is there a way in which I can, for example, sort by name in the morning, and then have everything stay where it is in alphabetical order, until I sort again?

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:43 AM

There are no replies.

Change Sorting in ML to the way I want

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.