Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Received an email just now from claiming to be from apple Seems to be a spam

Hi,

Received an email just now from claiming to be from apple and asked me to verify my apple id.Looks like spam.The id it was sent from was appleid@id.apple.com.

Did anybody else receive any such email ?

Is this an legitimate email sent from apple support ?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:36 AM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2012 11:48 AM in response to himanishk

It could be legit or it could be a phish. Without having the actual message, or seeing the full source, I can't say for sure. Do not respond to the email and definitely do not click on any link contained in the message. If you wish to check your Apple ID, go here:

http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/

click "Manage Account" and then the link at the top that says "Sign in to manage your Apple ID."

Regards.

Dec 18, 2012 11:53 AM in response to varjak paw

I am pretty good at keeping tack of emails from Apple. I have made a filter in gmail and all contact from Apple goes to that folder.

I do not have the email you listed above. The emails I have:

do_not_reply@itunes.com

itunesstoresupport@apple.com

do_not_reply@apple.com

support.survey@apple.com

repair-feedback@apple.com

noreply@me.com

concierge@insideapple.apple.com

noreply@icloud.com

discussions-updates@apple.com

PLEASE ADD ANY APPLE EMAILS YOU MAY HAVE, I WANT TO EXTEND MY LIST.

If the email you received proves to be from Apple, please let us know.

Thanks -

apl

Dec 18, 2012 12:00 PM in response to apliguori

Update : Already got three of those emails within the last 30 minutes.Also they got my last name wrong,has an address from Ireland etc which makes me think that it is definitely a spam.

Here is the content (P.S. - I have obsured my email id below)

Dear Himanish Sawhney,

You've entered xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com as the contact email address for your Apple ID. To complete the process, we just need to verify that this email address belongs to you. Simply click the link below and sign in using your Apple ID and password.

Verify Now >

Wondering why you got this email?

It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions.

Thanks,

Apple Customer Support

TM and copyright © 2012 Apple Inc. Apple Sales International, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Cork, Ireland. Company Registration number: 15719. VAT number: IE6554690W.

All Rights Reserved / Keep Informed / Privacy Policy / My Apple ID

If you would prefer not to receive commercial email from Apple, or if you have changed your email address, please click here.

Dec 18, 2012 12:00 PM in response to apliguori

I didn't give any email address. And that an email appears to be from Apple, even if the email address has been confirmed to be one of Apple's, is no guarantee that it's genuine. It's easy to fake a return address and scammers are known to do so. So keeping a list of known Apple emails is false security if you then blindly trust that any email showing that return address is legitimate.

Regards.

Jan 5, 2014 11:59 PM in response to apliguori

Hi,

I have received a mail purported from Apple, in Italian, warning me that for the security of my Apple account is necessary that I fill out the attached questionnaire and that in case I'd not fill out the following one (??? -- not clear but sounds like they refer to a questionnaire following the one attached) they cannot guarantee the security of my account...

This is really weird. First of all the message was in spam with a warning label. The address it comes from is apple@insideapple.apple.com. I see there have been many issues with a similar address (@insideapple), but haven't found anything online about this particular address. So you might want to add it to your list.

The interesting thing is that the links in it are not working. Not the one to fill-out the questionnaire, nor "the terms of use", "privacy policy" or "contact us". It's clearly a spoof, but what can be the reason and purpose? My Apple account was hacked and appropriated by someone last August. BTW, does anybody know if this is a crime? identity theft?

Thanks!

Gentile Cliente,

Le comunichiamo che per una maggiore sicurezza legata al suo Apple ID, è necessario compilare questo breve questionario che troverete in allegato a questo avviso.

Nel Caso in cui non compilaste il successivo modulo, non potremmo garantire più la sicurezza del vostro account.

Clicca qui >

Grazie,

Assistenza clienti Apple.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2015 9:45 AM in response to himanishk

BEWARE:

I received an email in my icloud email inbox today that stated "You have unread email that will be deleted in 5 days" along with three others directed at my icloud email address informing me that my photo was successfully published on various websites. Well I never allow my email to go unread and I didnt request to have my photo published on any website so I figured this was some sort of spoof or something. After some research on Norton Safeweb and google searching the senders ip address, I discovered that it is possibly a fake email.

NOTE: Apple Sales International, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Cork, Ireland. Company Registration number: 15719. VAT number: IE6554690W.

Return-Path: <globllconsult@excite.it>

X-Clx-Score: -740

X-Clx-Shades: Junk

X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: rule=notspam policy=default score=3 spamscore=3 suspectscore=5 phishscore=2

Body of Email Received:

You have unread email that will be deleted in 5 days

User uploaded file

Received an email just now from claiming to be from apple Seems to be a spam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.