Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creo iQsmart3 scanner problems, unexpectedly quits

This is a long post and anyone with experience using the Creo iQsmart3 scanner or oXYgen Scan would be really appreciated if they provide any clues or could help.

I use a Creo iQsmart3 scanner in the business I work for, and I recently had an issue with it unexpectedly quitting during a scan.

After trying to get it working I decided to clean swipe two Mac Pro towers (these are scanning stations), and re-install the oXYgen Scan Software to try to get the scanner to work again.

On one of the Mac Pro towers running, 10.6.3, I attempted to install oXYgen Scan Software version 2.6.4 (for Mac OS X 10.6.x according to the packaging), after a moment of installing, it mentioned that 'system/library/extension/LeafwXDRIVER-MATCHER.kext" was not installed properly and cannot be used. I clicked ok, and went along and tried the scanner anyway. I repaired disk permissions (because I was told a long time ago I should do this first before running the oXYgen Scan Software after installation), and then I ran the Install_Utils application to create the tables and install the rest of the software components, and it starts to work fine, it goes through the electronics diagnostics check and passes, but once it goes to the mechanics diagnostics check, after a couple minutes it unexpectedly quits.

So I tried installing it on an older Mac Pro tower (G5) running 10.3.4, and installed oXYgen Scan Software version 2.6.1. This time everything installed successfully and I wasn't given any warnings about extensions. However, when I tried to run the Install_Utils application again (after repairing disk permissions), the scanner software unexpectedly quits at the exact same time, during the mechanics diagnostics check.

I then tried to install older oXYgen Software version 2.4 on the G5 Mac Pro tower, and after a successful installation, the software unexpectedly quits again at the same moment as the other versions, during the mechanics diagnostics check in the Install_Utils application.

I would also like to note that I have used multiple firewire cables to connect the scanner to the computers, just to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the firewire cable.

So I am lost as to what it could be that is the problem other then something seriously wrong with the scanner hardware, in which case it will need to be sent somewhere to be fixed. If anyone has any theories or solutions or has seen this problem before any help would be appreciated. If anyone would like to look at the crash report I can post it up in a reply, if you think it would help.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:08 PM

2 replies

Dec 19, 2012 6:46 AM in response to LostFrames

Stopping at the exact same point in multiple versions of the software leads me to believe there's a hardware problem with the scanner.

The people at Genesis Equipment should be able to help you. They buy, service and sell all kinds of prepress equipment. I've purchased two Eversmart Supremes from them. The person I talk to is Michael Streeter. Very nice guy and very knowledgable.

Creo iQsmart3 scanner problems, unexpectedly quits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.