Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine error: The backup disk image "/Volumes/----/----MacBook Pro.sparsebundle" is already in use and resource unavailable?

I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2010 model running Mountain Lion. I have always been able to use Time Machine with my Time Capsule. Just today I have been receiving the same error message whenever I would back up my computer:

User uploaded file

I removed my name before "MacBook Pro". It takes a long time "Looking for backup disk..." first. The disk I put with the time capsule is called Huge Backup, and in Huge Backup there is my sparsebundle file called "----- MacBook Pro." When I open Finder, open my time capsule, and then open my sparse folder, it should mount a drive where I can see my computer's backups. That doesn't work. Then I get this message:

User uploaded file

I once again removed my name before "MacBook Pro" but I can open my sister's sparsebundle who is running Mountain Lion on the same network and her backups work fine. I have researched this topic and have tried to repair the disk in Disk Utility, remount all the drives, remove the drive and restart the backups, and even restart my computer and the Time Capsule. Nothing worked. It just was working yesterday, but now I get this in the settings along with a caution symbol in my menubar:

User uploaded file

Is there anything I could do to fix this? Reconnecting it in AirPort Utility (5 or 6) didn't work. Also, for some reason, the error renamed Huge Backup to Huge Backup-1 as you can see above and below in the messages. I downloaded the Time Machine Buddy widget and this is the error report I got. I replaced my names or private info with [-----]. By the way, the network is called NDR Network, and the Time Capsule is alled NDR Time Capsule. Here's the error I keep getting:

Starting manual backup

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://[-----];AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backu p

Mounted network destination at mount point: /Volumes/Huge Backup using URL: afp://[-----];AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backu p

Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Huge Backup/[-----]'s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35

Failed to mount disk image: Error Domain=com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain Code=31 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain error 31.)" UserInfo=0x7ff0a483e6c0 {MessageParameters=(

Ejected Time Machine network volume.

Waiting 60 seconds and trying again.

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://[-----];AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backu p

Mounted network destination at mount point: /Volumes/Huge Backup using URL: afp://Rohan;AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backup

Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Huge Backup/Rohan's MacBook Pro.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35

Failed to mount disk image: Error Domain=com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain Code=31 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain error 31.)" UserInfo=0x7ff0a343d430 {MessageParameters=(

Waiting 60 seconds and trying again.

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://Rohan;AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backup

Mounted network destination at mount point: /Volumes/Huge Backup-1 using URL: afp://Rohan;AUTH=SRP@NDR%20Time%20Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Huge%20Backup

Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Huge Backup-1/Rohan's MacBook Pro.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35

Failed to mount disk image: Error Domain=com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain Code=31 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.backupd.ErrorDomain error 31.)" UserInfo=0x7ff0a34410c0 {MessageParameters=(

Giving up after 3 retries.

Backup failed with error: 31

[SnapshotUtilities mountPointForVolumeRef] FSGetVolumeInfo returned: -35

Failed to eject volume (null) (FSVolumeRefNum: 0; status: -35; dissenting pid: -1)

Failed to eject Time Machine disk image: /Volumes/Huge Backup-1/Rohan's MacBook Pro.sparsebundle

Please help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:10 PM

I didn't remove all of my names, so just ignore that...

1 reply

Time Machine error: The backup disk image "/Volumes/----/----MacBook Pro.sparsebundle" is already in use and resource unavailable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.