Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ducking with commentary only when there is sound

I have a video, over which I would like to add a commentary audio file. Is there a way to duck the video's audio, but only when there is actually sound playing from the commentary track? So if there is a pause in the commentary the videos audio plays at normal volume, but once there is speaking in the commentary, the video's audio is quieted. Is this possible to do automatically? Thanks

GarageBand '09, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:40 PM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2012 11:18 PM in response to Peterno3

but only when there is actually sound playing from the commentary track? S

You can do this by turning "Ducking" on. I am not sure, if GB '09 will automatically separate the movie soundtrack from the video, but GB '11 will add video to a different track than the soundtrack, if you drag a video to GarageBand.

Once you have a separate audio track for your movie,

• enable "Ducking" from the "Control" menu
  • In the Track Head of the soundtrack click the downarrow to duck the track.
  • In the Trackhead of the commentary click the up-arrow.

If your GB version does not separate the audio in a separate track, use Quicktime or iMovie to expoart the audio from your video as a separate track and import this into GarageBAnd.

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2012 10:55 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I don't think i was very clear about my specific question. The commentary track will be the full length of the video, but there may be sections where no one is talking, even though the track is still playing. Is there a way to get the ducking to automatically find these sections of silence, and not reduce the videos volume during them? My understanding of ducking is that it just quiets the second audio track whenever the primary track is present. Or am i incorrect?

I could manually accomplish this by cutting out all of the sections of the commentary where no one is talking, but it would be nicer if it could be done automatically. Thanks

Dec 19, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Peterno3

The commentary track will be the full length of the video, but there may be sections where no one is talking, even though the track is still playing. Is there a way to get the ducking to automatically find these sections of silence, and not reduce the videos volume during them?

Ducking will do exactly that - when the commentary is silent, you will here the video track instead.

My understanding of ducking is that it just quiets the second audio track whenever the primary track is present. Or am i incorrect?

That depend, on what you mean by "present". The background track (video) will play loudly, whenever the primary track is silent. This can be quite annoying, btw. A short phase of silence in the primary track may cause disturbing bursts of loudness of the ducked track.

It may give better results to put a volume automation onto the video track to gently fade in and out.

Regards

Léonie

Ducking with commentary only when there is sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.