Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting a pinwheel while working in MS Word?

For about a week now, I've been getting the pinwheel of death while working in MS Word. It usually happens after I've been working on the same document for over an hour. Fortunately, after I've done a force quit, the program can recover a portion of my document. So, I've started saving my work every 5 minutes, but the pinwheel still pops up. It very annoying. How can avoid this? I'm not a super computer savvy person, but I can follow directions if you can provide me with a resolution to this issue. If it helps to know, I'm working in MS Word 2008 version 12.3.5. Much thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:31 PM

12 replies

Dec 18, 2012 8:03 PM in response to cisquito

This means that your computer is having trouble keeping up with the demands that you are making on the processor and/or memory.

A good place to start is to look at Activity Monitor, which is a program in your utilities folder, which is in your applications folder. Open Activity Monitor and then if you click on %CPU in the bar across the top, you will see what software processes are active and how much of your processor (the CPU) they are using.

How big is this document that you are using?

How much ram do you have?

How full is your hard drive?

You shouldn't need a ton of ram to just run word, but if you are running a lot of other programs at the same time that could be a problem.

Also, if your hard drive is too full, your mac won't work properly. Computers need some thinking space in the hard drive- virtual memory.

Why don't you take a look at activity monitor and see if you can answer those questions and report back.

Dec 18, 2012 8:05 PM in response to cisquito

You didn't say, but I assume since you posted here that you are running Mountain Lion. I hope you're running the latest version of Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.2).

You may know that Microsoft Office 2011 came out for the Mac since Office 2008. However, I do think Office 2008 can run with Mountain Lion. My advice, however, is that when you have Word open, do a "Check for Updates" (located under "Help" in Word's menu) and make sure you install all the latest updates.

Dec 18, 2012 8:13 PM in response to sberman

Sorry, sberman, I thought I had included that I am running 10.8.2

I have a 2008 Macbook and I upgraded to Mountain Lion about 4 months ago as an effort to make my laptop last one more year until after I graduate college since it was slowing down dramatically. It seemed to have worked for a minute, but I've noticed a lot of problems like the one I just posted 😟

Dec 18, 2012 9:05 PM in response to arthur

I have the offending document open right now....if it happens again, I'll look at the activity monitor and take another screen shot.

To answer your question, I have 2 GB of RAM and 70.45 GB available space out of 159.18 GB (I hope that answers your question...this is where I'm computer UN-savvy).

I hope that by upgrading my 2008 MacBook to Mountain Lion didn't create more problems that it was worth. It just needs to hold out one more year and then I can upgrade to a newer laptop and update MS Office.

Dec 18, 2012 9:21 PM in response to cisquito

That should be more than enough space in your hard drive- it's only half full.

The 2 gigs of ram might be part of the problem. I have 8 in my laptop.

Is the document you are working on really huge? I had a similar problem before with pages.app, when I was working with a large document, and it was autosaving all the time. I think word has autosaving built in.

Well, no definite diagnosis yet.

The next thing I'd try is some routine maintenance, like repair permissions, and then repair your hard drive.

You repair permissions with disk utility (in Utilities).

For the hard drive repair, you have to reboot into the built in recovery HD volume. Here are some directions:

When to Run First Aid in Mountain Lion's Disk Utility - For Dummies

Nov 26, 2013 2:30 PM in response to cisquito

Try this it worked for me:

Went to Applications

Went to disc utility

Clicked on Hard Drive on left side of window

Clicked on Repair Disc Button

Ran for approximately 14 minutes,

While it was running noticed on one of the windows, "repairing, resolved"(numerous times)

And now tried copied and pasting from a website I had copied from in the past to see if that was a problem.

No pinwheel this time.

I hope this helps you cisquito🙂

Why am I getting a pinwheel while working in MS Word?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.