Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air battery issues

2 days ago the battery in my Macbook Air got to 0% suddenly and went sleep. I plugged in the charger and took it out of sleep and the battery indicator was saying that the battery must be replaced now.

Once it charged fully it was reporting as Normal.

Anyway yesterday same thing. I was sure the computer had around 45 - 50 % battery when i closed the lid an hour or 2 before and when i opened it the mac went to sleep after a minute.

I plugged in the adapter, took it out of sleep and the battery was 0% and saying Replace Now.

I used a bettery meter program and it said the battery was bad (9% healthy) and only 1300MaH.

I switched off and reset the SMC and restarted.

Anyway i kept using it while plugged in and then put it to sleep and left it charging overnight. This morning while still plugged in it said 100% and fully charged but remained saying Replace Now. Then i unplugged the magsafe and it is now saying the battery is Normal86% health and has 4395Mah.

Is the problem with the battery ? SMC ? Software ?

I am now using it on battery power to see how it is. Been on 5 minutes, battery at 95% and saying i have 3:31 minutes remaining,

Macbook Air 2,1 - 1.6Ghz - 2GB DDR3 - 128GB SSD - 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:45 AM

If you reset the SMC and it fixed the issue then that was the problem. If the problem re-appears again then it's probably worth making a Genius Bar appointment to have the battery examined. They have some diagnostic software that's pretty good about identifying battery issues. Also, third party applications such as Coconut Battery can also give you some additional battery insight. As it's a free and harmless app, it wouldn't be terrible to download that and see what that says about your battery for a second opinion.

It's unlikely to be a software issue (OS related) if there's been no changes or modifications to the OS. When jumping releases (such as moving to Lion from Snow Leopard) it's not all that uncommon to get different reporting values on your battery but I can't see justifying an OS upgrade to troubleshoot your battery.

Monitor it over the next week and let it discharge/recharge a couple of times to see what happens and then troubleshoot from there.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2012 1:45 AM in response to Dougal222

If you reset the SMC and it fixed the issue then that was the problem. If the problem re-appears again then it's probably worth making a Genius Bar appointment to have the battery examined. They have some diagnostic software that's pretty good about identifying battery issues. Also, third party applications such as Coconut Battery can also give you some additional battery insight. As it's a free and harmless app, it wouldn't be terrible to download that and see what that says about your battery for a second opinion.

It's unlikely to be a software issue (OS related) if there's been no changes or modifications to the OS. When jumping releases (such as moving to Lion from Snow Leopard) it's not all that uncommon to get different reporting values on your battery but I can't see justifying an OS upgrade to troubleshoot your battery.

Monitor it over the next week and let it discharge/recharge a couple of times to see what happens and then troubleshoot from there.

Dec 19, 2012 2:22 AM in response to JasonFear

Well so far resetting the SMC seems to have helped. I just got back and the battery is 91% (computer was sleeping) since i posted the thread about 3 hours 45 mins ago.

I am using a battery app called battery health. That before is what said the battery was 1100mah or something. Now it says the battery is OK at 4300 approx mah.

Could have been the SMC which was messed up and reset may have helped.

Dec 19, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Dougal222

Help... It did it again!!

I took it out of sleep again (see my last post) and the battery was 0% and it switched off / hibernated.

I attached the power lead and switched it on and it restarted from hibernation and battery is 0% charging and saying replace now. The battery app i use says there is 730mAH.

Need a new battery ? Any good places where I can get a new replacement good quality or original battery but not from Apple (too expensive from Apple Store) ?

Dec 19, 2012 10:36 AM in response to Dougal222

Truthfully it's difficult to pinpoint those specifics. An archive & reinstall of the OS would eliminate the OS and software from the equation. It's quick and easy enough to do if you wanted to give that a go. It's unlikely a firmware issue and there's no battery board on the MacBook Air. The battery plugs directly into the logic board so there's only three components to the hardware equation:

1.) Battery

2.) Cable

3.) Logic board

The MacBook Air model you have is rated to maintain 80% of it's original full charge capacity at 300 cycles, you're a 152 cycles over that. I suspect what you might have is a near depleted battery that's causing inaccurate readings on the computer side of things. That'd explain why the charge capacity is bouncing all over the place, it's not terribly uncommon for a dying/depleted battery to display wildly inaccurate statistics.

You can get used/refurbished batteries from places like the one I've linked below -

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Macbook-Air-Battery-A1245-Replacement-p-17206.html

I'd definitely be careful digging through eBay and such looking for batteries. Spending $40-75 on a battery that might last you a few months doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment.

I'd say the next step, in the interest of being thorough, would be to take your machine in for a battery diagnostic at the Genius Bar.

Dec 22, 2012 2:23 PM in response to JasonFear

I cannot think what the problem could be.

Before i buy a new battery i need to be sure (as they aint cheap).

What i noticed is that:

(Not always - maybe 40-50% of the time) When i open the lid after sleep it will say 0% battery and REPLACE NOW and Cocconut Battery says the battery is basically dead. Plugging in the charger will say that it is charging but the percentage of battery remains 0.

Then i close the lid again and open it and 60-80% of the time when i open it again the battery will be back to the % it was before (i.e 80 or whatever) and battery condition says Normal etc.. etc..

Is that still a sign of faulty battery ? I ask seeing as when it is working it works well.

Dec 22, 2012 3:31 PM in response to JasonFear

JasonFear wrote:

The MacBook Air model you have is rated to maintain 80% of it's original full charge capacity at 300 cycles, you're a 152 cycles over that. I suspect what you might have is a near depleted battery that's causing inaccurate readings on the computer side of things. That'd explain why the charge capacity is bouncing all over the place, it's not terribly uncommon for a dying/depleted battery to display wildly inaccurate statistics.

Pretty much a repeat of what I proposed earlier. Depleted batteries do weird things, wildly and unannounced. One minute it works fine and the next it's dead. Sometimes when a battery dies it flat out won't work, even worse somedays a dead battery will prevent the machine from the booting giving the user the impression of a far more serious problem when in reality it's just a bad battery.

An appointment at the Genius Bar is free, it'll take you less than 10 minutes to perform a battery diagnostic and you'll get an official answer rather than speculation from someone like myself. At that point you can evaluate if you need to purchase a new battery and then how much you're willing to spend.

Jan 13, 2013 7:11 AM in response to JasonFear

Problem was in fact the battery. I got a "new one. Had 0 Cycles but health is only 80%. The problem of sudden battery drain causing the computer to switch off or sleep is fixed now and the Mac is working perfectly.

Spoke to the battery supplier and they are sending me a replacement battery due to the 80% health issue but other than that everything is great.

That means the logic board is fine... Phew 🙂

Macbook Air battery issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.