Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme ethernet port lights flashing but won't start up

The Airport is a 2006 model. I've tried hard resetting but that hasn't worked. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:57 AM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 12:33 PM in response to rshelton

Hi RShelton, Wurzz is definitely right. I just had the exact same problem with my 2007 airport extreme n. Fixed by simply finding a compatible power adapter. Just make sure the output is 12v and no more than 1.8amps--or identical specs as the original airport extreme power adapter. Mine now works like a charm and is actually faster than before--probably because it was under powered due to a faulty power supply. One thing I noticed was when I plugged the old power adapter into a power outlet the adapter would literally make a hissing sound--which would continue even when unplugged from the power outlet. The adapter was definitely fried.

So before you go out and buy a new airport extreme--or throw away your old one, double check the power supply adapter. Will save your close to $200 for a comparable wifi router. And you can buy compatible power adapters from Radio Shack or Best Buy for about $10-$20.

As a side, I spoke with an Apple support rep and she mentioned that you can get your defective wifi routers replaced under warranty if any mac you own that's covered under apple care was purchased within two years of the airport extreme (before or after). That was very good to know.

Airport Extreme ethernet port lights flashing but won't start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.