2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 10:07 AM by etresoft
OlafMeding Level 1 Level 1

How do I copy the Backups.backupdb folder from my old drive to a new and bigger drive?  I don't loose the history of changes.

I tried to do this with the Finder by just dragging the folder (after turning off time machine).  Will this work?  It gave me a message reading: "You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "Backups.backupdb."  I pressed the continue button but never had to enter a password.  It took a full day to finish.  I was logged w/o admin privilidges.

I am using Snow Leopard and are planing to upgrade to Mountain Lion.  I have a 2008 MacPro and an external LaCie FireWire hard drive.

So I wonder, are there better ways to copy the Backups.backupdb folder?  And thanks for sharing your insights.

Olaf

Solved by etresoft on Dec 19, 2012 10:07 AM Solved

Here are the official instructions from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5096

Wether you did it yourself or strictly followed Apple's directions, you definitely want to test it. See if you can enter Time Machine and restore some files from your new Time Machine drive.

Reply by Linc Davis on Dec 19, 2012 7:42 AM Helpful

Use the Restore feature of Disk Utility. See its built-in help for instructions.

All replies