Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the macbook use the internal harddrive when booting from usb and when fully booted?

I wonder if the Macbook Air uses the internal SSD drive when booting Mac OSX lion 10.8.2 from a bootable USB stick?

I am suspecting the internal harddrive is faulty because it gives me random system freeze ups during normal use, making me hold the power button to shut it down. So I'm wondering if I boot my macbook from a bootable USB, if the internal drive is used for caching or anything?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:28 AM

it will not be used for any system operations/caching if you boot from USB.

18 replies

Dec 19, 2012 5:34 AM in response to mende1

What i'm doing when it freezes is totally random. I am not having any programs open, but for example just clicking on the apple icon or starting up safari, there seems to be no specific program that crashes it. I'm still running without a freeze up after I fixed the drive permissions with Disk Utility. But here is Etrecheck;

Hardware Information:

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir2,1

1 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2 cores

2 GB RAM

System Software:

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) - Uptime: 0 days 0:9

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM128 disk0 : (121,33 GB)

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209,7 MB

MacBook Air (disk0s2) /: 120,47 GB (106,36 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

FireWire Information:

Kernel Extensions:

Problem System Launch Daemons:

Problem System Launch Agents:

[failed] com.apple.afpstat.plist

[failed] com.apple.mrt.uiagent.plist

Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] com.bjango.istatmenusdaemon.plist

Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.bjango.istatmenusagent.plist

User Launch Agents:

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper

3rd Party Preference Panes:

None

Internet Plug-ins:

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

User Internet Plug-ins:

Bad Fonts:

None

Top Processes:

Dec 19, 2012 10:09 AM in response to mende1

I did the hardwaretest via an iMac over airport on my Macbook Air as suggested in the link you provided, no hardware failures came up. Does this guarantee that the hardware is working properly? Note that I did not do the 'extended' test in the hardware test.

I will do the extended test tomorrow and see what happends. Thanks for your help so far!

Dec 19, 2012 11:35 AM in response to keldererik

keldererik wrote:

I did the hardwaretest via an iMac over airport on my Macbook Air as suggested in the link you provided, no hardware failures came up. Does this guarantee that the hardware is working properly? Note that I did not do the 'extended' test in the hardware test.

I will do the extended test tomorrow and see what happends. Thanks for your help so far!

The AHT is not at all reliable. If you get a positive, that can be trusted. But returning with a negative is not very meaningful, even using the extended test.

Dec 20, 2012 10:16 AM in response to WZZZ

Somehow the hardware test won't start up, the wifi seems unstable. But I managed to do a fresh install after formatting the SSD, it seems to be much more stable now. It froze up only once during the whole day. But still i'm not statisfied with the result. I might bring it to an apple store and see. (it's outside warranty).

Does the macbook use the internal harddrive when booting from usb and when fully booted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.