Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't vibrate in Silent Mode when in my pocket

I am missing calls occassionally. I have my iPhone 5 set to vibrate when in silent mode. I turn the ringer off while I am at work so as to not disturb others. I put the phone in my pants pocket. Today I noticed that I missed a couple of calls while sitting at my desk. So I did a test. Phone out of my pocket - I called and it vibrated. I put the phone in my pants pocket - I called - my iPhone never vibrated but did show that I missed a call. I am running iOS 6.0.2. This has been happening for a while but occasionally it will vibrate when a call comes in. I am wondering if its the proximity sensor detecting my body while the phone is in my pocket. Do I need to return this back to Apple for a new phone?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:03 PM

Check settings>sounds>vibrate on silent>on.

If that is on, and problem persists, try turning it off and on again.

If that doesnt fix it, i dont know what will. Try an apple store.

9 replies

Dec 19, 2012 12:22 PM in response to calebfromnashville

Thanks for your reply caleb. As I stated in my orig post - I have the phone set to vibrate when in silent mode. I had done as you suggested; turn the setting off then on. I updated to iOS 6.0.2 last night so I know the phone had a hard reboot. I was thinking I'll need to go to the Genius Bar - but I need to make sure I can duplicate it on command - so that I can demonstrate it to the Geniuses.

May 22, 2014 1:23 PM in response to pjb0422

I have this issue, and cannot solve this problem. Recently given a 5c (16GB) (iOS 7,1,1) to replace my 5. Cannot get this phone to vibrate with incoming calls in silent mode or in regular mode. I've turned vibration on/off, changed the type of vibration, and played with every setting for vibrations I can find. But it doesn't seem to work.

No apple store nearby to help. anthying I am missing?

iPhone 5 won't vibrate in Silent Mode when in my pocket

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.