Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Replica of Mountain Lion Server possible?

• Mountain Lion Server (10.8.x) as Open Directory Master
  • Lion Server (10.7.x) as Open Directory Replica

I know this wasn't possible in previous versions of OS X Server & Open Directory. Can someone verify that it still not possible now?

If it's not possible is there anything useful, as a Lion Server, that we can do with the hardward that can't be upgraded to Mountain Lion? (We have a new Mountain Lion Server but want to keep the old server doing…something!?! maybe even a Time Machine Server...if ML Server can back up to a Lion Time Machine Server?)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:59 PM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Demetrios

Sure, a server doesn't have to be an OD replica to utilize OD accounts. You can bind a server to OD just like you bind a client. In my organization, I've done this for years. I have an OD master and a replica for redundancy in case the master machine were to die. Those two servers don't do much other than run DNS and OD. I have a third server that I use to provide services to clients. It is bound to OD and I run Calendar, Contacts, File Sharing, Mail, Messages, Time Machine, and Web on it. All my network user accounts work just fine. If I remember correctly when you bind your server all the services are kerberized to work with the OD you are joining.

Also, I run FileMaker server on that third machine, and due to compatiblity issues with Mountain Lion, I had to leave that install at Lion for a while waiting for an update from FileMaker. I didn't have any troubles with having a Lion server bound to an OD provided by Mountain Lion.

Lion Replica of Mountain Lion Server possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.