Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing will not work on my new iPad Mini

I have an iPad mini set up with home sharing on my iMac. When I try to search my home sharing library on the iPad mini, the music app immediately crashes. Also, it will not sort the music by artist or album, only by song or playlist. I have rebooted both of the devices multiple times and have verified that OS X, iTunes, and iOS are all up to date. Anyone else having this kind of problem with the new minis?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1, iOS 6.0.2 - mini, OS 10.8.2 - iMac

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:17 PM

13 replies

Dec 22, 2012 8:48 PM in response to timborineman

Same problem here. Just bought 3 minis for the kids and none of them can see my iTunes library (movies or music). I have a 250Gb library but that shouldn't be a problem since my Apple TV sees and can stream from the same library just fine.

Very frustrating to say the least. All software is up to date. I'm currently running Lion on an late 2007 MacPro 1.1.

The more devices I accumulate the more issues I seem to have with Apple. I'm starting to wish I hadn't drank the kool-aid if you know what I mean.

Help, please, someone.

Dec 30, 2012 1:36 AM in response to dfigravity

Same issue here with both ipad 3.

I have itunes library on TC connected to mini.

Music app thru home sharing works fine for iphone 5 and iphone 4S; library loads fine with album art and searching the music library works fine as well.

As soon as we try the same with one of the ipads things go wrong; library doesnt load well and when i search for a song the app crashes and closes down.

what a disappointment

btw tried switching off wifi sync but no luck.

this is ipad software issue ?!

unbelivable they can ask money for such rubbish !

Dec 30, 2012 2:02 PM in response to timborineman

As far as i can tell this is a problem with all apple devices. I know someone with an iPhone 4S who has the same problem. I have an ipad mini and a fourth-gen ipod touch and they both have the problem. They can connect to home sharing, but have wrong cover art, missing songs/tv shows, and crash the music/video apps constantly. all devices up to date

Jan 14, 2013 3:57 PM in response to vaney troney

Figured out my problem sharing my music library on a new iPad Mini (I think). Two issues: (1) I have two Apple IDs, the result of doing one years ago and forgetting about it when I set up another; Apple doesn't seem to be able to ever merge or otherwise fix this problem, despite the best efforts of smart folks at the Genius Bar plus of course I'm forced to have 3rd ID as my iCloud username, but never mind....). I was logged in as one Apple ID and my music library is under the other. Went to "Music" under settings, signed out under "Home Sharing" on that page, signed in again as the other Apple ID. (2) Realized then that it was trying to share music from something called my iPad library instead of the library under my name, which is where my music is. When I fixed these two things, it all shared nicely. Whew!

May 27, 2013 12:15 PM in response to timborineman

I too had this problem, with my new ipad mini, I did two things as previous members sugessted then it worked but you have to do both in this order.

1. have a current or latest version of itunes running. if you device is connected or not connected ensure that (Sync with this ipad over wi-fi in the summary tab) is unchecked.

2. Once that is completed. Then go into your device signout of itunes home share and and reboot your device. go back and turn on home share and enter your Apple iD it will conenct to itunes then you go into the music app select your library and everything should appear.

Jun 20, 2013 3:46 AM in response to vaney troney

I assume you've figured it out by now, but if not, here's what I did. I just switched out of my wifi network for a moment then turned it back on. Tried home sharing then and it worked fine. It just wasn't working initially. As with most Apple devices, if it's not participating I just re-sync things by leaving the network and returning and that usually sorts it out.

Jan 4, 2014 10:26 AM in response to timborineman

It's not difficult to get home sharing working to iPad mini's (turn off home sharing reboot pc+idevices, turn home sharing back on on pc + iDevices) It takes forever to connect the first time (10+ minutes so turn off auto-lock) then will work fine. BUT alas it reverts to this bad behaviour often so it isn't worth the time to get it working in the first place. It should be removed from the feature list, it's a great idea, very poorly implemented.

Home Sharing will not work on my new iPad Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.