Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS6 Personal Hotspot no longer works

Why hasn't the release of 6.0.2 included a fix for this issue? It's been a problem since the beginning of iOS6, judging from previous posts that have gone quiet.

The personal hotspot is very obviously broken since the upgrade to iOS6, which I recently upgraded my 4S to, because of Google Maps availability.

Sure, it works if I restart my phone or reset my network settings (essentially restarting my phone), but am I going to restart my phone every single time? No.

People who restart their network or phone and think that it's worked, it doesn't. Wait till you try again.

I tend to only tether my iPad Mini, and it has definitely worked prior to the upgrade. It is not the network.

When I try to tether, the iPad Mini is continuously trying to connect and on my iPhone it says there's 1 connection. But it never actually connects.

Please Apple, do something.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:33 PM

7 replies

Dec 19, 2012 2:41 PM in response to razmee209

I mentioned in my post that I have been using it prior to the upgrade with iOS5 with no issues.

I'm in Australia and we tend to get free tethering from carriers. It's not the carrier.

The only way to get it working is to restart the phone, this is NOT a solution.

If Apple doesn't read this board, then how do we get issues across to them?

Dec 26, 2012 10:06 AM in response to mudbucket

There is something with the 'time out' of the 4g data when a phone call is received; this is especially true with the V 4g network.

Anytime a phone call is received the personal hotspot will need to be cycled off, phone rebooted, personal hotspot on, until the software is corrected.

It has to do with the iphone on V 4g (and most European) network(s) using the same antenna for data and voice.

1. Turn OFF Wi-Fi, bluetooth, personal hotspot at: Settings>

2. cycle hotspot at: Settings>General>Cellular>Personal Hotspot = OFF (note this may still note that is it on).

3. Reboot phone (Home +On/Off switch) until apple logo appears after phone turns off.

4 Turn ON wifie under Settings>General>Cellular>Personal Hotspot = ON.

4a. IF necessary: Cycle your devices searching for the iphone wifi hotspot; it should reappear without cycling.

If your are on the phone for more than 90 seconds you'll need to do steps 1-4 all over again to re-enable wifi hot spot.

It's an annoyance; yes.

iOS6 Personal Hotspot no longer works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.