5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 3:39 PM by léonie
greg1424 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried to send a photo via Apple mail and the export spinning wheel lit for 2 seconds and stopped, the photo did not create an email.

I have my setting to Mail.

I cannot remember if I exported a photo since the last recent update.
I have never had this issue before.

Here is what I have tried:
(A)
Go thru File > Export > Mail

(B)
Close out aperture and mail
(C)
Try different jpeg sizes
(D)
Try different photo from another project

(E)
iPhoto e-mail works

Any other suggestions?

Greg

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

Greg, what is your Aperture_3 version exactly? And is your profile signature Mac OS X (10.6.5) still correct? Do you have a referenced library or managed library? On the internal disk or an external volume? Raw or jpeg images?

For me mailing from Aperture works very well - Aperture 3.4.3, Mac OS X 10.8.2. There used to be a bug, that "Mail" only worked, when selecting no more than one or two images at once, so maybe upgrading could fix your problem

Here is what I have tried:
    (A)
    Go thru File > Export > Mail

(B)
    Close out aperture and mail
    (C)
    Try different jpeg sizes
    (D)
    Try different photo from another project

(E)
    iPhoto e-mail works

• Check the "Export" presets you are using in "Aperture > Preferences > Export > Mail"; after selecting one of the "Jpeg" options, set the selector to "Edit" and look, if the "Export" presets are still o.k.
    • Have you tried the "Mail" button in the toolbar instead of File>Export>Mail?
    • Does it work, when using a different Aperture Library? You may want to create a test library for this.
    • Does it work from a different User account?

If mailing works, when using a different Aperture library, try to fix your library: Repair permissions, repair the database, etc. as described here: Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

If mailing works, when using a different user account, try to trouble shoot your account settings, preferences and Aperture presets, start up items that may be interfering; are you using any helper applications, plug-ins, that you installed previously, before Mail stopped to work?

See: Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics for how to remove Preferences or/and presets.

Post back, if Mail will not work at all, independent of the library or account . Then it may be a system wide problem.

Reagrds

Léonie

• greg1424 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The Aperture e-mail is working this morning but I thought I would answer your questions anyway for future reference.

Question:
    Answers:

(1)

what is your Aperture_3 version exactly?

(2)

And is your profile signature Mac OS X (10.6.5) still correct?

(3)

Do you have a referenced library or managed library?
    I do not know what you are referring to.

(4)

On the internal disk or an external volume?

Internal HD I also have an external as a B/U

(5)

Raw or jpeg images?

I have both in Aperture

(6)

Check the "Export" presets you are using in "Aperture > Preferences > Export > Mail"; after selecting one of the "Jpeg" options, set the selector to "Edit" and look, if the "Export" presets are still o.k.

Yes to the settings, I have always had that setting, I tried reset but still no Result.

(7)

Have you tried the "Mail" button in the toolbar instead of File>Export>Mail?

Yes

(8)

Does it work, when using a different Aperture Library? You may want to create a test library for this.

Only have one Library, several projects which I tried

(9)

Does it work from a different User account?

I only have one user a/c

(10)

if Mail will not work at all, independent of the library or account .

Mail works fine and I could send a photo from iPhoto.

I will change my profile, I thought when I hit the latest version at the bottom of the post  to indicate what I have to send that it showed it in the post.

Good to know, that it is working for you now.

Do you have a referenced library or managed library?

I do not know what you are referring to.

Just for future reference  - I was referring to the way, how you are importing your images into Aperture:

• Managed: the image files are stored inside the Aperture library - Aperture manages the storage of the image files.
    • Referenced: You pick a folder outside the Aperture library, where your images are stored, and Aperture references these files.

This distinction may be important, when Aperture has problems to access the original image files.

Regards

Léonie

• greg1424 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for taking the time, I am sure by now you have figured out that I am not the best with the computer.

I have my Nikon import directly into Aperture so I would say that I have the managed way.

If I need further editing I send it to PSE 11 and then I store most of the photos in iPhoto.

I find that with a lot of stored photos, Aperture runs really, really slow.

I was surprised about the profile that it stored the original version of my computer and does not update, I update whenever one comes out.Since there are so many updates it seems like a waste of time to have to do that and the forum should rely on the updated button that I clicked.

I wish I could tell you want the temporary bug was but that is the way of the computer world.

I find that with a lot of stored photos, Aperture runs really, really slow.

Then something is wrong with your Aperture setup. That should not be so - Aperture is designed as a professional application and  supposed to handle huge photo libraries.

Possible reasons for this may be:

• Your system drive is too full and the operating system has not enough space for caches.
    • Your Aperture library needs repairing (this can happen, if Aperture crashes or you force quit it).
    • You imported corrupted image files or incompatible videos.

To repair your Aperture library, see: Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library