Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express connected to a external hard drive

I have successfully set up my Airport Express to my cable model with an ethernet cable.

Through the USB port in the back, I plugged in a Western Digital External Hard drive. I want to be able to use that wirelessly since I have a PC and a MAC that I want to start backing up files to. At the Apple store, they said this was a good option, however, even though I have it connected, I am not sure why the drive isn't showing up. Where would I find the external hard drive to look at? I am not sure where this would be.

Thank you for your advice.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:09 PM

13 replies

Jun 24, 2013 8:55 AM in response to rinkadink1

I just purchased the Airport Exteme and also read that if you connected a USB drive to the USB port you could use it as a network drive. This is completely true. The drive will show up in your Shared section of the finder window with the name of your AirPort Extreme. This is really sweet. You can set up your time machine to that drive as well. This is an impressive product. Unfortunately it cannot boost my original connection speed. I pay for 24 meg and only get 22. This is not an apple issue but AT&T.

Sep 27, 2013 9:28 PM in response to rinkadink1

I'm in the same boat as the OP (Airport Express, just purchased an external hard drive thinking I could connect it via the USB port). Are there any other workarounds that would allow me to back up all of my household computers wirelessly with Time Machine? Obviously, I could just go out and buy either Airport Extreme or Time Capsule, but I'm looking for a way to do it without spending $200+ and getting a new router when my current one is working just fine.

Airport Express connected to a external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.