Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help in Knowing Exactly What is Installed & Upgrading RAM & HD

Hello-

I am not very tech savvy, so I am calling for some help here. I might be getting in over my head, but I think with some help here and from Apple articles, I should be able to correctly upgrade to the max RAM and the best quality and largets HD. I have a brand new cMBP. I wanted 16 GB (or need 16 Gb of RAM) but that configuration was not possible. I understand one needs to install RAM that is compatible with the existing RAM, which I do not know how to figue that out too. I need to figure out how much RAM is currently installed, and either take the existing RAM out and install sticks of the best RAM I can get for this cMBP that equals 16 GB of RAM. I would like some recommendations on where to go to get the RAM, how to know what type I need (I know there are several numbers/letters that identify the RAM), and I think I found the link that shows me how to change the RAM. I do not have the proper screwdrivers so I will need to get those, but my main concern is to know what to do with the existing RAM. I know that I did order the least amount of RAM I could get since I knew I needed 16 GB so I was gong to upgrade. I did read the RAM has to be evenly divided but I am not sure exactly what that means since I do not know how many slots it has. I stayed with the least expensive HD because I knew I was going to try and upgrade to the largest SSD (or Flash Drive-not sure of the difference). If it is difficult to swap out the existing HD 5200rpm for the best SSD, I have not been able to find that Apple article, but recommendations on a website to get these drives for the MBP I just received would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Remember I am not savvy in this type of stuff so I need as much detail explanation as one can give me.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:21 AM

5 replies

Dec 20, 2012 3:24 AM in response to NObodE

Honestly, if you're not experienced with this type of stuff, I would recommend going to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider, get the upgrades from them, and have them install them for you. Better to spend a bit of money here than to risk damaging your machine. If you're in the US and near a major metro area, Micro Center sells and installs RAM and hard drives.

Dec 20, 2012 3:30 AM in response to saturnotaku

I have done the upgrade for RAM before and that went well. I just need help in knowing what is the latest thata I should get (which I have not kept up with). I would like to get the SSD, if I can get help knowing if it is compatible and that might be the bet way to go once I get the SSD. it is interesting how I posted this post the other day and people were really putting me down at how easy it is to do this. what I am really looking for help with is knowing how much and what type and in what amount sto get for the RAM (if there are different names that are better and knowing what SSD will work with this MBP). I understand if you do not want to help me in this area, that is your choice.

Dec 20, 2012 3:34 AM in response to NObodE

If you've a new MBP - a 2012 non-Retina model - you can install up to 16GB of RAM. Your MBP has two RAM slots, so you will need a 2 x 8GB kit of 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. Go to the Crucial website and download the System Scanner on the tab. It will report your model to Crucial and offer you the options for what upgrades are possible. Crucial sells quite good RAM with a limited lifetime warranty.

I would also suggest shopping for a SSD at the Crucial site. I have a 512GB Crucial m4 series and I love it. It's the perfect balance of price and performance.

To get all of the tools that you'll need to upgrade both your RAM and your SSD, I would suggest getting this toolkit from OWC. It has both of the screwdrivers that you'll need for RAM and SSD installation.

There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube that walk you through the RAM and SSD upgrade installations - you need not be too tech-oriented to accomplish these simple tasks.

Good luck - call back if you have any further questions.

Clinton

Dec 20, 2012 3:51 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clinton-

Thanks. Yea that is the info. I needed. I can do a check for the articles on installing RAM and the SSD, but by chance do you know what they are and if they have one for the SSD? is the SSD you purchased from crucial the largest you could get? If so , do you wish there was a bigger option? do you use thge thunderbolt cable for anything? I hear it really speeds things up, but because I have had my current MBP for so long, I am ot exactly sure how that cable works. I also want a pair of great speakers, and I have not had any specific suggestions, but I would like a pair for the cMBP that are awseome. I have an older Bowers & Wilkins, but I would like one that is a bit more updated and some additional controls for the audio when the speakers are plugged in. I was looking at a BOSE, but they are so expensive and I am not sure how they work with Apple.

so crucial is the best site for you. thanks on that. is there a "better" name in RAM that really has any significant impact on how the RAM functions that you are aware of? The exiisting RAM, if it is 4 GB will basically just be trashed or sold. (or should I keep it incase Applecare cause a concern because I awapped out the RAM and HD?

Dec 20, 2012 4:13 AM in response to NObodE

As for the 'old' RAM - I have a drawer full of old sticks, carefully labeled. Because RAM is so cheap just now, you're not able to get much for it: maybe hand it down to a friend in need?

Yes, the 512GB is one of the largest consumer SSDs made. OWC has a 980GB, but it's only for 3Gbps speeds and we have 6Gbps speeds on our MacBook Pros. For some good information and a 'buyer's guide' to SSDs, see Sean's SSD Buyers Guide & Information Thread. One of the drives that he recommends is the Crucial m4 series.

I do use my Thunderbolt port - I've an Apple Thunderbolt Display and just recently (this month) added a LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt 4TB disk (it's actually 2 disks - it comes formatted as RAID 0 but I 'unraided' it and now have two 2TB disks). Lightening fast - I use one drive as a Time Machine backup and the other as my 'working' drive for any and all projects that I'm currently working on.

Because my Denon reciever has AirPlay, I don't have external speakers for my computer any longer. My first pair were some Harman Kardon Soundsticks and they were good, but I bought the Bose Companion (it was at III then - I believe that they're at 5 now) speakers in 2006 and found them to be unsurpassed. They work great with Apple products. The Bose are expensive, but worth it.

Try Amazon for both the Crucial RAM and SSD - they have a slight discount, anyway, from what you'd pay ordering directly from Crucial.

Good luck,

Clinton

Need Help in Knowing Exactly What is Installed & Upgrading RAM & HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.