Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing: Move Clip to Playhead?

This seems like a simple question, but can't find the answer after looking through the shortcuts....

OK, I have a clip (or group of clips) selected in the Timeline...

What is the shortcut to position them at the playhead?

Thanks,

Geoff

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 10.0.6

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:14 AM

13 replies

Dec 20, 2012 7:23 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, clips being on separate layers seems pretty integral to editing on the Timeline. Shape, titles, audio clips, are all over our programs. I would love to be able to quickly pull them up to the Timeline to position them, either as a group or as individual clips. This kind of editing doesn't affect the timeline, it just needs to pull layerd clips into place, or extend them frame by frame....

These shortcuts would be much faster than dragging and nudging, imho.

Thanks,

Geoff

Dec 20, 2012 7:46 PM in response to gmrsamson

clips being on separate layers seems pretty integral to editing

Not at all. This is common in compositing applications like Motion and After Effects, where there are shorcuts to move clips to the playhead, where all items in a project are on separate layers. In video editing applications having items on multiple layers is not at all the norm. The vast majority of items in most projects are inline with adjacent elements.

I would love to be able to quickly pull them up to the Timeline to position them

I don't know what that means, pull from where to where.

You can do extend edits that will either ripple or roll edit points. Move clips is a completely different matter because it requires in almost every state in a project to deal with adjacent media.

Dec 20, 2012 8:31 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, I guess it depends on what you are working on. I edit a weekly TV show, localising it for Australian TV. The program is a single clip, and my job is to cover all the US text with localised info.

I start with last week's project, Duplicate it, then replace the main timeline clip with the new episode from the U.S. Then I must reposition all the layered localised clips to their new position for that episode.

Thus the timeline never gets touched, but I have many many clips in layers above the timeline. I am forever dragging and finely positioning a group of clips to cover the US content. (A group of clips will contain V/O audio, shapes to cover the US text, and new Text).

Positioning these accurately is timeconsuming. I would, ideally, like to position the playhead, then select the required group, then click a shortcut to have that group of clips reposition themselves to the new playhead position. Make sense?

This may not be how you use FCPx, but saying the program isn't used this way is to limit how people might want to use it. I like FCPx a lot, but a few more simple short cuts for the above would greatly improve usability for me.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Geoff

Dec 21, 2012 2:59 AM in response to gmrsamson

gmrsamson wrote:

… I would, ideally, like to position the playhead, then select the required group, then click a shortcut to have that group of clips reposition themselves to the new playhead position …

maybe …?

set playhead

click M (to place a marker)

select clips

drag to marker ('magnetic snap' is ON)

from the number of clicks as fast as your intended method 😁

Feb 2, 2014 9:52 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks Karsten, yes I have done that sometimes, but I usually just drag them manually to the playhead. (I am referring to clips on layers above the timeline).

I have had Motion 5 for a while now and used it a little. It is amazing, but way too powerful for the kind of 'compositing' I am doing, and the learning curve quite steep to get a grasp on it. I am comfortable with FCPx, but still feel it lacks that one command that would speed things up. (i.e. to pull the clip or group of clips to the playhead position).

I don't understand the issues Tom raised, and can't see at all how moving a clip, or a selection of clips, (on layers) to the playhead could cause any problem. Afterall, I do it manually, all I am asking for is a shortcut to do exactly that.

Tom, if I was to use Motion 5, would I still need to import into FCPx to render the program? I guess I don't have a handle on Motion 5, but like FCPx generally. I don't think of Motion as a video editor. Should I?

Geoff

Editing: Move Clip to Playhead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.