Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Not Responding

10.8.2 (Mt. Lion)

iMac Mid 2011, 4 GB RAM

Mail program hangs (spinning color wheel). Must force quit to terminate program....restarts & power down has no impact. This is a recent occurance and

Mail has been running great for over one year. Any ideas?

Regards, Dan from New York

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:43 AM

10 replies

Apr 13, 2017 7:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Link,

Thank you so much for your answer. Mine is a MacBook Pro and it was solved once I followed your advice. The only difference is when I reached the folder named 'com.apple.mail", there were one file named "Conainer.plist" and a folder named "Data". I deleted both of them into trash. Then, when I reopened my mail app, it worked perfect.

Thanks a million,

Regards,

Dec 20, 2012 10:31 AM in response to Dan5718

You need to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder. Back up all data first.

Quit Mail. In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar, copy the text on the line below into the box that opens, and press return:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Trash. Relaunch Mail and test.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Mail Not Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.