Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad hotspot

We have 3 iPad 2 in the household. None of them have data plan, I think they are wifi only. We also have 4 iPhones. I am considering going on to ATT's family plan for data. One of their selling points to me was that I can use my phone and plan for wifi hotspots for other devices. If our iPads are wifi only devices, can they benefit from the hotspot feature my phone will have? In other words, can our ipads access the net using our phones and the new plan? Thanks

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:51 AM

Yes. If you subscribe to the Personnel Hotspot plan on the iPhone you can use the phone's cellular data connection for the iPads.

iOS: System requirements for Personal Hotspot

iOS: Understanding Personal Hotspot

3 replies

Dec 20, 2012 9:59 AM in response to MW1957

But be very careful about watching how much data you are using. If you are pulling data through multiple devices, even if they are wifi you are still being billed for it through your iPhone. And it doesn't take long to go over your data limit if you have several people using the same data stream. And when you go 1 bit over you get charged the full amount for the overage you start to use. It can add up really fast.

And if you have multiple people using the same hotspot you may see some slow downloads, streaming, etc.

ipad hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.