Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After sleep becomes unresponsive

After having my mac pro in sleep mode for a few hours the machine will not came back (won't wake up). I see the light next to the power button and the light on on the cinema display but no matter what I do it won't wake up.

I've tried remoting into it from another machine to see if its monitor but neither VNC, nor Screen Sharing nor any other remote software can get in--it basically goes into a sleep of death.

The only way to bring it back is to do a hard reboot. Upon finishing start up I get the message that the machine wasn't properly shut down, do I want to open, etc.

Then it comes back and everything is fine.

If I put it to sleep or if it goes to sleep by itself it will usually come back with no problem as long as it hasn't been too long.

I've tried everything but just can't seem to figure it out.

At first I thought my Drobo Pro may be causing it (because I have a hard time getting the drobo to mount after this happens (unlness i power cycle it) but its happening even if the Drobo isn't plugged in...

Any ideas guys?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 14 GB RAM Dual Xeon Quad Core

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:15 PM

4 replies

Dec 20, 2012 1:25 PM in response to The hatter

Dear hatter,

Thank you very much for posting on this issue I'm having.

Please forgive me but though I consider myself fairly "techie" your response is a bit cryptic to me.

Can you please elaborte on what you mean by "3.1 early 2008 users"? Is that a version of firware that came on certain mac pros? or a version of the OS?

Please elaborate on "Dual boot. Only use ML for when you must" What is ML? (Manual L....?) Hard reboot?

How would you "dual boot"?

What I did grasp is that you are telling me that my particular verison of Mac pro (Early 2009) has some hardware and firmware issues....?

The exact mac I have is:

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

14 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

10.8.2 (12C60)

Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. Can you help me out? Perhaps dumb down your response for me a bit?

Thank you!

After sleep becomes unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.