Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac HD not visible in Boot Camp

Hi,

Just installed Boot Camp on my new Fusion Drivew 27" iMac. All is well, except that on my previous iMac, I could see and access my OS X partition from within Windows. On my new iMac, for some reason the OS X partition isn't visible in Windows.

It's not a particularly big deal, but can anyone with the same setup confirm, please? I'm assuming it's something to do with the Fusion Drive.

Thanks,

J

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:46 PM

6 replies

Dec 21, 2012 8:11 AM in response to Csound1

Got a feeling you might be wrong about that in this case. Boot Camp does indeed install the ability for Windows to see the HFS+ partition – as it did on my non-Fusion Drive iMac – but I don't think that's the issue here, as my Boot Camp driver/support installation is fine. I honestly think it's a Fusion Drive thing – that Windows cant see the combined CoreStorage volume. Hopefully someone else can confirm that they, too, can't see their HFS+ drive in Windows on a Fusion Drive iMac. 🙂

Jan 7, 2013 5:42 PM in response to Jackalton

I have been having this issue as well. I called AppleCare support and asked about this anomaly, and the guy and his manager had no idea that Boot Camp ever did this. Actual quote from 15 minutes ago:

[Me] "So in answer to my question, Boot Camp no longer supports access to the OSX partition. Is this right?"

[Tech Support Guy] "Yes."

Lol, wut? I found some post on MacRumors that had the drivers for this feature from Boot Camp 4.0, but I found the same files in Windows/System32/Drivers. I installed Windows 7, but my friend who installed Windows 8 has the same problem, so at least it's consistent. I agree that they just need to patch the drivers to support Fusion Drive. I suspect it will be fixed whenever the patch comes out to fix the 3TB Fusion Drives with Boot Camp.

Jul 18, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Jackalton

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but it looks like this is still an issue. I've just installed Win 8 on a 27" Late 2012 iMac with a 1TB Fusion Drive, and can't see the OS X volumne through windows.

It's not really a problem, I have a NAS I can use to transfer things, but it doesn't stop it being a little annoying. Luckily I won't need to use Windows all that much!

Mac HD not visible in Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.