Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep everything synchronised on two Macs

Hello,

My Father and I have just got two new Macs: I've got a MacBook Pro (not retina), and my Father has got the new 21.5" iMac. (And of course they both came with OSX Mountain lion).

We need to get them both to synchronise for work and keep them synchronised - if possible keeping all settings, preferences, files, applications etc. synchronised. So that when we swap Macs now and then if going out somewhere, they are exactly the same.

(Haven't got a Time capsule or Time Machine at the moment).

Thank you.

All the best,

Daniel

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:05 PM

User your local network and file sharing or use an external drive to backup/restore from one to the other.

DO NOT exchange any system related files. As of now the OS versions on each of your computers are not the same. You should only stick to data in the Home folders.

5 replies

Dec 20, 2012 3:07 PM in response to danielcallen

There is no way to keep the two in constant sync with each other. The best thing you could do in this situation would be to use the 'back to my mac' feature available within iCloud. This allows you to remotely access the drives on both machines as long as you have an internet connection at the time. There may be third party software available that I an not farmiliar with but as far as I know this is the best way to acomplish your objective.

How to keep everything synchronised on two Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.