Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding RAM -- do all modules need to be the same?

I have a 27" 2009 imac with 4 GB of RAM. I'm considering expanding and wanted to know if it is possible to add 8 GB of RAM to what I already have to have a total of 12 GB, or do I need to just replace the existing 4GB with 8 GB? I've looked around and didn't see this addressed.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:52 PM

Yes, you can add RAM to make 12GB by getting 2 4GB modules. Macsales(OWC) or Crucial are great vendors with reasonable prices.

If you are still running 10.6.6 as your profile indicates you should update to 10.6.8 it's more stable and the last version of Snow Leopard.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2012 6:52 PM in response to Skor

Yes, you can add RAM to make 12GB by getting 2 4GB modules. Macsales(OWC) or Crucial are great vendors with reasonable prices.

If you are still running 10.6.6 as your profile indicates you should update to 10.6.8 it's more stable and the last version of Snow Leopard.

Dec 20, 2012 7:04 PM in response to Skor

The first question you need to answer is which 2009 iMac do you have, early or late. You mention that it is a 27in model so it should be the late 2009 model unless you mistyped the screen dimension.

If it is the late model you have 4 memory slots so you can add 2x4gb modules in the two empty slots for a total of 12gb.

Have a look at iMac (Late 2009): Memory specifications for the complete specs for the modules you need. Make sure you get the correct memory.

regards

Adding RAM -- do all modules need to be the same?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.