Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought my son an iPad Mini and I'd like to set him up with his own iTunes account..How do I transfer the purchased apps he uses from my iTunes account to his?

Im hoping there is a way to do this. My son has an iPod Touch 3rd Gen t hat he has amassed quite the library of apps on over the past two years. All of these apps are tied to my iTunes account because when I bought him the iPod Touch, I set it up as an authorized device on my iTunes account. Now I'd like to give him the iPad mini with his own iTunes account attached to his email but filled with all his favorite apps from the ipod touch. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance..

iPad Mini-OTHER, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:04 PM

Technically, no. But see iTunes- How to share music and video. This relates to music and video. Apps he will have to purchase under his own Apple ID. They cannot be transferred to a device with a different Apple ID from the one that was used to purchase them

5 replies

Dec 25, 2012 9:06 AM in response to TuckerCarlson

My daughters have their own iPhones and now iPad minis. I set them each up with their own Apple IDs but we share an ID for the purpose of sharing apps and music. The Apple ID that the iPad or whatever device is logged into does not have to be the same ID that is logged into in the App Store and iTunes. So we are able to have our own calendars and contacts, etc, but share music and apps.

Jan 4, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Lansgirl

Maybe you can help me Lansgirl. My son got an iPad for Christmas. He has loaded $50 of games and music on it using my Apple ID. I bought him a new iTouch today and went ahead and set him up his own Apple ID. We found that everything that is on my iPhone and iPad was showing up on his iPad. I signed up for iCloud and am not clear about exactly how it works but realize this is why we have each other things on each others devices.

Is there any way that those apps he placed on his iPad using my Apple ID can be transfered to his ITouch?

Also how do you share an ID plus let them have their own. I only know how to place on per device. I guess that would let me chose which ones to share. I am not computer savvy like lots of other on here so give me the dummied down version. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2013 8:00 PM in response to stwilliams1

First of all, let me say that I do not, by any means, claim to know as much as most of the people that post here. What I know I have figured out by trial and error, and many google searches 🙂. If anyone else has a better answer, please feel free.

When you say that everything that is on your iphone and ipad is now on your son's, are we talking just music and apps, or things like calendar, contacts, etc too? Make sure your son's devices aren't syncing to your icloud account (Go to settings, then icloud, to check which account the device is logging into). Since your son has more than one device, he might want his own icloud acct - which would keep his two devices synced with each other.

As far as sharing an ID, this is what we have set up. My girls' devices are each logged into their own icloud account (as described above), which keeps their devices synced together and also syncs them with their computer, and my phone, ipad and computer are logged into my 2nd apple ID (which is now my primary one). But for the purpose of buying music and apps, we share the initial ID I set up, which is no longer used for anything but buying music and apps. This allows us all to have access to anything that is purchased through that account. And by each of us having our own apple ID/icloud account, our calendars, contacts, etc don't get all mixed in together.

When you go into the itunes store from a given device, scroll to the bottom of the screen to see what account you're logged into. You can log out and log in with another account even if it isn't the account the phone is logged into. This also applies to the App store, too. To share an ID, you want each person's devices logged into their own icloud account (in settings), but in itunes and the app store, make sure EVERYONE's devices are logged into another apple ID that everyone shares. Does that make sense?

As far as apps he previously downloaded using your apple ID, he can log into the App store through your ID, then go to Updates and it should say Purchased at the top. Click on Purchased and it will bring up a list of apps that have been purchased through that account and he should be able to redownload to his new device from there. But, if he's now buying through his own ID, make sure you log him out of your account when he's done and log him into his own, if you want to do it that way.

I hope that's not too confusing and that it helped some.

Bought my son an iPad Mini and I'd like to set him up with his own iTunes account..How do I transfer the purchased apps he uses from my iTunes account to his?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.