Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compression Markers in nested sequence.

My main sequence contains 14 nested sequences (chapters and credits).
Audio is on the main sequence only (not in the nested sequences).

When I opened the first nested sequence and added Compression Markers, the markers appeared green above the video track. They are not visible on the main sequence.

After adding markers to the remaining seqences, they too, appear green above their respective video tracks, but they also appear pink at the bottom of each nested sequence on the main sequence timeline.

Can anyone tell me why this is - and whether I've made a mistake. I can soon re-do the markers in the first sequence but I'm not keen on re-doing the rest!

Quad 2.5 G5. 8 GB Ram. 250 & 500 GB Internal Drives. G-Tech G-Raid 1 TB Mac OS X (10.4.6) FCP 5.0.4 (FC Studio). Photoshop CS2. Sony HVR-Z1E

Posted on Apr 28, 2006 12:09 AM

7 replies

Apr 28, 2006 6:43 AM in response to andynick

Markers get weird in nests. That's about all I can tell you. Like several color tweaks and other twists, compression markers are usually the very last thing to be applied.
However, one also needs to ask why you are applying them at all. In most cases, depending on your codecs and final destination, they are unnecessary. Posts about compression markers are binary: the user knows what they're for or doesn't.

bogiesan

Apr 28, 2006 2:37 PM in response to andynick

'sokay, It's my job around here when Jim isn't around to make people anxious. I've got REALLY thick skin.
Most folks don't understand that FCP will place compression markers on edits without human intervention and waste hours of time trying to force Compressor to make too many decisions, too close together.

But markers go all nutty when you start nesting them. That's about all I can tell you, it's hit or miss, although I have gut feeling it's likely a user error with both of us not really understanding what FCP is expecting.

All else fails, try exporting a reference movie including markers instead of using a nest.

I have not tried going two or three levels deep with 5.1, that kind of stuff may have been repaired in the new rev. If you get it figured out, please come back and tell us what you know.

bogiesan

Apr 28, 2006 3:16 PM in response to andynick

I'm afraid you can't drop in compression (or chapter) markers within nests in the way that you're thinking because once sequences are nested, the markers become clip markers (which do not translate to Compressor).

What does translate, however, are cut markers. Compressor will restart your GOP whenever there is a cut, even for clip content that is nested. So use the Add Edit command ( Control-V) to place cuts within your nested sequence where you had placed (or were thinking of placing) compression markers. Then, once you're done, export using Compressor or as a QuickTime Movie with DVDSP markers.

Just FYI, DVDSP's internal encoder does not recognize cut markers -- it's a Compressor-only thing -- so do not use this if you're going to be encoding with DVDSP itself.

Apr 29, 2006 3:05 AM in response to hanumang

Thanks both of you.

Because of the time difference, I'd already finished adding the chapter markers by the time I got your replies.

Presumably, I should have added them to the main sequence instead of the nested ones. Would this work?

Anyway, for now I'm sending each sequence in its own right to Compressor - rather than as a full movie. The markers show up in the preview window. (They don't show if I export the nested sequence - why didn't I check this?)

My intention is to assemble these as a track on DVDSP to make my movie.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to move the playhead to each marker, then do the Add Edit job. Time consuming but better than starting from scratch.

Quad 2.5 G5. 8 GB Ram. 250 & 500 GB Internal Drives. G-Tech G-Raid 1 TB Mac OS X (10.4.6) FCP 5.0.4 (FC Studio). Photoshop CS2. Sony HVR-Z1E

Compression Markers in nested sequence.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.