Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking for a good text-to-speech app for an iPad.

I am severely sight impaired, and am looking for a good text-to-speech app for an iPad. I am not interested in apps where you type messages to have them read out, but rather apps which will read documents compatible with the iPad.

I am not bothered about paying a little money, but I need something which usefully goes beyond 'voice over'.

Thanks

Chris

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:43 AM

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/text-to-speech-apps-for-ipad

 Cheers, Tom 😉

3 replies

Jan 5, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks for that Tom, but I'm left in the same position really.

I had already seen the link, but it had not been as useful as it first seemed. For example, some of the Apps recommended have received very bad user reviews, or the Apps are not available in the UK.

I am really looking for someone who can personally recommend an appropriate App. I discovered FileApp Pro by chance, and that is packed full of features that make the App so useful to me.

So, is there anyone who can recommend a good text-to-speech App?

Thanks

Chris

Mar 26, 2013 5:51 PM in response to ChrisJ1960

I've yet to find one that does what I want without removing the formatting of the document I'm working on. The built in accessibility speech works fine for me. It's compatible with all the apps I use and it reads fine. Sadly, in comparison to what's available and the limitations of the apps on the iPad, it's the best and most convenient one to use.

If you're looking for one that reads more complicated texts (like pdf, ebooks, etc...), I would recommend searching 'text to speech' in the app store. Voice Reader, IMO, is decent enough for most people, but I find the price too steep for an app that doesn't retain formatting. You can get the lite version to try it out and see if it does what you want. Basically, this is one area that requires trial and error.

I am looking for a good text-to-speech app for an iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.