Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 freezing, crashing and lines on screen.

Hi everyone,

I have had my iPhone 5 pretty much since the day it was launched, with no problems apart from the slow wifi (fixed with the latest OS). However, a few weeks ago I started to experience some small green and pink horizontal lines on the screen. I thought it may be some of the apps I'd downloaded but it continued to happen even whilst using the camera, Safari etc. After showing the little lines it would then freeze, the screen would then just completely turn into vertical bars and then it would re-boot itself.

I tried doing a factory reset, hard resetting, deleting all my apps, charging, updating software... All the typical fixes I could think of and the problem still persisted. So I finally decided to send the phone back to Apple by post (I don't have an Apple shop anywhere near). They kept the phone for maybe a few hours, sent an email saying there were no problems with it and sent it back to me!

I have no idea what else I can do, is anyone else having this problem or a similar one?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2017 2:36 PM

User uploaded fileThis is what is happening to my 6+ randomly didn't drop it. Did you have a warranty?

11 replies

Dec 21, 2012 8:07 AM in response to rrhh

Yep, I'm having the same exact problem as well. Plus, while charging (through any usb port/wall adapter/different cable) my phone will continuously reboot every 4 minutes or so. I've also tried all the typical fixes you could think of, including restoring through DFU mode which only fixes the problem for a few hours before the same symptoms show up. By the way, my phone has never been jail broken. Standard factory settings, typical usage.

I was hoping the last update would have fixed the issue, but no luck. Also, looks like these guys in this thread had the same problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4435518?start=0&tstart=0). One of them had their phone replaced immediately. I'm really surprised this issue started as early as October with no fix for it. I've already scheduled an appointment with a store for Thursday (12/27) so we'll see how that goes.

Dec 22, 2012 2:10 PM in response to m.lena

Thanks for the info, that's interesting that it's happening with a few people. Definitely keep updated with what Apple say at the appointment, they couldn't seem to find anything wrong with mine, even though it was doing this every 5 minutes! Mine's also just set up as standard, I haven't touched a thing in terms of software except updating to IOS 6.0.2 so it must be a hardware issue.

Dec 27, 2012 8:09 AM in response to rrhh

Just got back home from the appointment with Apple and the guy just swapped out the phone after I explained to him what I was experiencing and taking a look at the diagnostic logs. In and out in ten minutes. I'm guessing it's some type of hardware malfunction.

Definitely try to find time to get to a store and if that's absolutely not an option, send it to a friend/family member who's willing to go on your behalf.

Dec 29, 2012 5:19 AM in response to m.lena

Thanks for getting back to me, I just rang Apple in the end to explain the situation and they said they didn't know why it wasn't replaced the first time I sent it to them. But anyway, they knew what the issue was straight away and they've now replaced it for me also, definitely a hardware issue! Thanks for the help.

Feb 16, 2014 7:13 AM in response to rrhh

But what if you bought your iphone from another store? like mine, I am experiencing problem: my iphone freezes, vertical lines appear on the screen , then it crash, shut off and reboot. I'm having this problem for two days in this month of february, i haven't got this type of problem since i bought my iphone. But right before my iphone is experiencing this kind of problem I fell my iphone for several times like 5-6/7 times, but before eventhough it fell I have never experiencex this type of problem

Mar 23, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Nicolo_2360

I had a similar problem: phone kept crashing/shutting down, and vertical lines appearing on the screen before shutting off. When I took the phone to the apple store, the tech guy showed me that the screen at the top looked like it was a bit...lifted? It turns out that it was a battery problem-he said the battery was swollen. This is what caused the phone to keep rebooting, and this is what caused the screen to look like it was popping up a bit-it was the swollen battery pushing on the screen from inside the phone. He said this could have been caused by a number of things: a bad/faulty unit/phone, physical damage, etc. Either way, I had appleCare so my phone was replaced free of charge and with little hassle. Hope this helps if you have not had this problem addressed already

iPhone 5 freezing, crashing and lines on screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.