Skip navigation

Dr.Oz Diet Spam

15614 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2013 3:32 PM by MacLady RSS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
capaho Level 4 Level 4 (3,650 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 21, 2012 6:21 AM

Everyone I know with an iCloud mail account keeps getting this annoying Dr. Oz Diet spam at the same time.  This miscreant has obviously figured out how to spam the whole system.  Why can't Apple get this under control?  Is there a spam reporting tool in iCloud?

• QuickTimeKirk Level 8 Level 8 (47,355 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to capaho)
  • Wet Baloney Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to capaho)

I got about 20 of these this morning

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,670 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 8:30 AM (in response to capaho)

capaho wrote:

It looks like someone found a way to exploit a vulnerability in the iCloud mail system.  Apple needs to fix the problem and go after that jerk.

Not at all, it's more likely someones address book was compromised through something like facebook and everyone in their address book is being spammed.

• Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,835 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 11:16 PM (in response to Winston Churchill)

I'm of the opinion that spammers have somehow managed to gain a list of valid iCloud email addresses from Apple's servers.

This spam came to my wife's iCloud account that she has NEVER used in any way. So the address exists nowhere in anybody's address book. It only exists as an account record in Apple's systems.

• stevejobsfan0123 Level 7 Level 7 (30,500 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 11:18 PM (in response to capaho)

I got hit with this as well.

• D M K Calculating status...
    Dec 22, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to capaho)

I've been getting this same spam for a couple months now.  I am very carefull with my @me.com mailbox address so I assume that I too am just unlucky here to be on the end of the Spamers who have managed to get a hold of my address.

• D M K Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 22, 2012 9:58 AM (in response to D M K)

Found this online;

Associated Email: vsyvwmmyke@zbaote.com     
    Associated User Account: Dr oz diet     
    IP: 193.34.144.193

The ip address 193.34.144.193 has been recorded as a spammers ip. If you have had a member sign up with this address you may want to consider contacting them, and possibly banning them from your site.

http://spam-ip.com/lookup-309806-193.34.144.193.html

• Kaivi Calculating status...
    Dec 26, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to capaho)

Actually, this is quite interesting. For almost 3 years I've had this account, I have never receieved any spam. And the only one which went through spam filters was this Dr. Oz Diet.

Spammers are either getting pay a_freaking_lot, or somebody has ripped the iCloud e-mail database with ease.

Also, could that be a botnet consisting of Macs?

• stevejobsfan0123 Level 7 Level 7 (30,500 points)
    Dec 26, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to D M K)

Mine came from: jgrwdqhk@hotmail.com

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.