Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist Total Time in iTunes 11??

OK...this is going to seem petty. But this is just annoying enough to be extremely aggravating. Perhaps I have missed something?

In past versions of iTunes, the total time of a playlist was shown in the Status Bar and could be toggled from a rounded total (e.g."1.2 Hours") to an exact total (e.g. "1:20:23")

In 'the new itunes', the total time length of playlists seems permanently fixed ion the broad value only. (e.g. 1.2 hours).

This is terribly inconvenient if one is going to be burning a PLaylist to a CD or DVD-A. Where 79 minutes would fit on a CD, 81 minutes will not.....yet 'the new itunes' will show both only as "1.2 Hours". Very inconvenient if one is now to be forced to manually add track times together in order to decide if a playlist will fit or not.

How do I get 'the new itunes' to show me a more useful total? Or has Apple now decided that we aren't going to burn CDs any longer? (Surely, by now you can figure out on your own what my opinion of that might be.)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:59 PM

Come on Apple. FIX it! The new iTunes is not better. It doesn't seem nearly as intuitive. Pretend for a moment to care. Some people *do* depend on total time in minutes and seconds for playlists. 1.2 hours? Really???

19 replies

Jan 8, 2013 1:42 AM in response to mixman68

I'm on 10.6.8 too and I think I found how you can have the precise duration of a playlist in iTunes 11: you have to be in "List" view, not in "Grid" or in "Artist list" view (you can change that in the top right of iTunes, just below the search field.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Vincent

PS: yes, the fact that it works only in List view is ridiculous, but it's consistent with many other ridiculous things 😉

Jan 17, 2013 9:10 AM in response to SimonTemplar

maybe, i'm missing something - as soon as i installed itunes 11 i turned the status bar back on, because i really like having it. but as the original commentor said, in the past you could click on the info in the status bar and it would flip from "x songs, x hours, x mb" to "x minutes" or "x days" or whatever else (i forget how many variations there were). now it shows up with "x songs, x hours, x mb" and - like the original poster - i can find no way to change that view. as they also said, this is very annoying when you are trying to determine if a playlist can be burned onto a single cd or not. or any other time you are trying to plan something that is over an hour long but needs to be an exact number of minutes. "1.3 hours" or "1.4 hours" is pretty worthless when minutes count. i google searched for awhile and have so far found no answer. if it were the early 80's and i was making a mix tape by hand it wouldn't seem too odd to have to add up all the song lengths by hand (or on a calculator). these days it's kind of ludicrous - especially since the functionality used to be there. (maybe apple figures no one should want to burn cds these days...they have been removing cd/dvd devices from their hardware. but there are other legit reasons for wanting to know the exact length of a playlist.)

Jan 17, 2013 9:50 AM in response to jimmy crack cron

I agree, it is inconvenient to have lost this functionality. Sometimes I can get around it by selecting a smaller group of tracks so that the information shows only the items selected. And sometimes this doesn't help, depending on what the length is.

Another thing that occurs to me: I'm not sure what good "days" is in this context, anyway. Why is there a reason for the user to be able to think of musical or video content in terms of day lengths?

Jan 17, 2013 12:40 PM in response to Donnie Ashworth

i always assumed the "x days" format was more for bragging rights than any legit technical reason. (or for a personal warm fuzzy feeling if one is averse to bragging.) "i have x days worth of music!" or "i can listen to my music for x days without a repeat!" or "i have 2.7 days worth of music by bob wills and his Texas playboys. i rock."

Playlist Total Time in iTunes 11??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.