Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Extreme - External Hard Drive - Time Machine????????

Can i connect an external hard drive to a apple extreme and use time machine for automatic back ups? If so, how?

apple extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:02 AM

11 replies

Dec 21, 2012 11:00 AM in response to needsomehelpcripe

Apple doesn't support Time Machine backups to an external HDD (aka, AirPort Disk) attached to the USB port of the Extreme regardless of how the Extreme is connected in a network. Again, they do support that same HDD attached to the TC's USB port. As far as connectivity with the Express, both the Extreme and TC are interchangeable. Basically the only difference between them is that the TC has an internal HDD.

Dec 21, 2012 8:01 PM in response to Tesserax

You should be aware that Apple still has a discrepancy in its KB articles regarding TM support for USB disks attached to the TC's USB port.

From Uses for the USB port of Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express (Last Modified: Jan 31, 2012)

Time Capsule

• Single self-powered USB hard disk (with support for Time Machine backups)

From Mac Basics: Time Machine (Last Modified: Nov 16, 2012)

Time Machine can’t backup to an external drive that's connected to an AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule, or a drive formatted for Microsoft Windows ...

In other words one KB article says a USB HD connected to a Time Capsule is a supported TM configuration, while the more recent one says it's not.

I happen to know earlier versions of that article did not mention Time Capsule in this list of excluded devices. It is a recent change. We can only speculate why the KB article was modified to exclude this option. The discrepancy precludes a definitive answer.

This remains certain: Time Machine is unreliable with a HD connected to an AEBS.

May 29, 2013 8:29 PM in response to J_Corrigan_93

J_Corrigan_93 wrote:

can you two speak english lol.

If you'll be specific instead of talking about "things" and "somthing" (sic) and "doesn't work."

Remember, we can't see over your shoulder or read your mind from here.

I got a usb hard drive thing

You've posted in the Airport forum, so is it connected to An Apple Airport Extreme? If so, directly or via a USB hub? If so, is it powered? Does the drive have it's own power supply?

Or is it connected to an Apple Time Capsule? Or directly to your Mac? Or something else (ie, what)?

How is it formatted?

and i try to turn on time maching it turns it self off. I try to back up it says disk cannot be found or somthing like that.

What does it actually say? If you're not sure, post a screenshot.

I tried selecting the disk but that doesnt work either.

What do you mean by "doesnt work"? What happens, or doesn't happen. Any messages? If so, what, exactly?

Or, perhaps, you might want to see one of these for detailed instructions:

How do I set up Time Machine to an internal or directly-connected external HD?

How do I set up Time Machine to back up to my Time Capsule?

How do I set up Time Machine to back up to an Air Disk on my Time Capsule?

How do I set up Time Machine to back up to an AirDisk on my Airport Extreme?

Apple Extreme - External Hard Drive - Time Machine????????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.