Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get back my lost QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component?

Following the general advice of using Time Machine, I loaded it on an external 500 gigger in June 2011. In October 2012 after having to restore my system I called on TM's help and found that the date line on the right side of the dark-sky page showed all the dates since June 2011 until November 2012 grayed out.

I thus lost all my bookmarks, addresses, music and iMovie and iPhoto apps although I had fortunately saved movies and photos to a second external drive. The worst loss is that of a manuscript to a book which disappeared from the desktop and its folder.

Thus I also lost the QuickTime MPEG-2 Component purchased in 2010. It disappeared last year and on July 19, 2011 I was instructed how to find and re-install it. Using those instructions this time, however, did not work.

I find that TimeMachine has been useless and I should have relied on making hard copies to DVD.

Last year I was even given a 90-day extension to my Applecare subscription after amassing a large number of case numbers, i.e. 233137931, 24041987, 240641989 and lengthy calls worthy of recording to a spread sheet.

I hope I can find some help here since an Apple store is some 400 miles away.

Thanks!

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:01 PM

There are no replies.

How can I get back my lost QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.