3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2012 8:07 PM by BDAqua
keraunoscopia Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

I don't know what magic I have to do, but sometimes my computer will go to sleep, but instead of waking up when I lift the screen, it won't wake up. Typing keys won't wake it up either. It will have gone into some kind of coma, and the only way to wake it is to push the power button, where it'll restore itself (you'll see a time-bar (or something) appear at the bottom of the screen, filling up as the computer wakes up.

Is there a way to induce this? (Meaning, can I do it on purpose?)

My energy savings are: Power Adapter: Sleep: put computer to sleep at 30 min, put display to sleep at 20 min, and put disks to sleep when possible.

Is it the last option that is causing this coma?

The reason I ask is because I don't have a battery at the moment (will get one later today) but I need to move my laptop around from one area to another, usually on a constant basis. I'll usually shut down.

The other day, the computer appeared to be in a coma and I unplugged it, moved it, plugged it in, and when I powered up, it was such a superfast boot-up (because it was waking from a coma) that I saw the potential good in this!

I assume the heads aren't parked so I am very careful moving the computer.

Anyway, this is really for those battery-less days, which happens when my battery explodes like they all seem to do.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB