Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2.93 Ghz RAM Upgrade ...

I would like to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro 2.93 Ghz.

I presently have 8GB of RAM. Can I still use this RAM and add more, or will I need to buy the full 16GB of new RAM?

Are there any know issues with certain RAM sticks, or is any RAM just as good for this machine?

MacPro 2.93GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8GB RAM

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:45 PM

20 replies

Dec 21, 2012 12:56 PM in response to vja4Him

I found these specs on my Mac Pro 2.93 Ghz:

Standard RAM:3 GBMaximum RAM:48 GB*

By default, 3 GB of RAM was installed as three 1 GB modules. One slot free.

*As originally shipped, Apple officially supported a maximum of 8 GB of RAM but third-parties discovered that the system could actually support 16 GB of RAM using four 4 GB memory modules. On December 4, 2009, Apple "officially" began supporting 16 GB of RAM as well. Shortly thereafter, third-parties determined that the system could, in fact, support 32 GB of RAM using four 8 GB modules. Finally, third-parties have been able to support 48 GB of RAM with three 16 GB modules.

Has anyone installed 32GB or RAM or even 48GB of RAM on the MacPro 2.93Ghz?

(Source: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.93-early -2009-nehalem-specs.html)

Dec 21, 2012 2:27 PM in response to vja4Him

vja4Him wrote:

I would like to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro 2.93 Ghz.

I presently have 8GB of RAM. Can I still use this RAM and add more, or will I need to buy the full 16GB of new RAM?

Are there any know issues with certain RAM sticks, or is any RAM just as good for this machine?

While it's not clear to me if you've got all four RAM slots filled with 2GB DIMM's or some other combination leaving slots free, not all DIMM's play nicely together. Check out http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1066-memory to see what combinations might work for you. In any case, you'll want to be sure that the DIMM's meet all of Apple's specs and that the vendor actually stands behind their product rather than just saying so 'till after they get your money.

Dec 23, 2012 7:24 AM in response to vja4Him

If you want to use 8GB DIMMs or larger then you need to insure that they mix, some only work as sets with all 8GB DIMMs.

And those do make a lot of sense for many while smaller 1 or 2GB DIMMs just take up space.

3x8GB is a modest good foundation for graphics apps like CS6 and others and even 32GB is very "affordable."

But Apple and others sell 8GB DIMMs that will not work with other densities which is why you need to be certain ahead of time.

Dec 23, 2012 9:50 AM in response to vja4Him

vja4Him wrote:

These are the lowest prices I've found for

DDR3 ECC 1066 MHz 240-PIN (PC3-8500)

> 32GB RAM (8x4) = $244.79 (MacMemoryStore)

> 32GB RAM (8x4) = $312 (DMS)

> 32GB RAM (8x4) = $239.99 (Memory America)

> 32GB RAM (8x4) = $264.99 (OWC)

Since price seems to be the primary concern, I'd suggest also establishing what the shipping and insurance costs will be, especially if you want other than one-of-these-days-after-dark service. I've been amazed at how much they can vary for the same type of shipping service on the same item.

Dec 23, 2012 10:00 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Amazon is great on all the shipping and stuff and they carry Kingston server grade ECC $55 per 8GB DIMM.

Kingston Technology 8 GB (1x8 GB Module) 1066MHz DDR3 PC3-8500 240-Pin Quad Rank Reg ECC x8 DIMM Memory for Select Dell Servers KTD-PE310Q8/8G

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-PC3-8500-KTD-PE310Q8-8G/dp/B003DF8YZC/ r

I'd say Amazon very safe way to ship and buy (doubly so if you have Prime).

Dec 28, 2012 8:45 AM in response to vja4Him

vja4Him wrote:

...Are there any know issues with certain RAM sticks, or is any RAM just as good for this machine?

As a data point, last week I added a fourth DIMM to my 6 core Mac Pro to go from 24GB to 32GB. In the process of ordering, I discovered that Mac Pro ECC DIMMs come buffered or non-buffered and the two don't mix. The non-buffered are cheaper and can be mixed with other size DIMMs. The buffered are more expensive and must be used in matched sets. They also come with heatsinks, which is, as they say, cool.

The upside is that the fourth DIMM shares the same bus as the third DIMM, and from what I've read, the sharing is smoother (i.e., faster) with the buffered DIMMs. The overall memory bus is slightly slower when there are four rather than three DIMMs installed, but the slowdown is less with the buffered DIMMs. The measured difference is likely pretty small but at least the combination is going in the right (quicker) direction. I didn't know about the two kinds of DIMMs when I started to order the fourth but the OWC salesman caught the disparity (I had buffered DIMMs already installed) and made sure I got the right kind.

Mac Pro 2.93 Ghz RAM Upgrade ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.