Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio problems importing Garageband project

I am having problems with imported movie clips that I had created in Garagband not playing the correct audio track.

My project was to dub a French video that was sent to me as an FLV.

1. I converted the FLV into a Quicktime movie
  2. I brought the Quicktime movie into Garageband to overdub the soundtrack in English. I left the original soundtrack because it contained a musical bed at the intro and outtro that I wanted to keep. I zeroed out the volume of the original soundtrack during the dubbed portions.
  3. I shared the clip as a Full Quality Quicktime clip.
  4. I imported the clip into FCP X to add English titles on top of the original French ones.
  5. FCP X plays the original French soundtrack and doesn't seem to recognize the dub track created in Garageband.
  6. If I open up the Quicktime clip in Quicktime Player, my Garageband track plays as it should.

What do I need to do to get FCP X to properly recognize my Garageband track. Should FCP recognize multiple audio tracks?

Should I merge the Garageband tracks before I export the clip?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:57 PM

1 reply

Dec 21, 2012 10:10 PM in response to rcostain

I came across a similar problem with a video with 2 video tracks... the following worked for the video tracks (but no guarantees it's the same for audio.)

Try this:

Import the clip into FCPX -- for now, don't transcode anything (uncheck everything in the import dialog).

Once the clip is in FCPX, right click and select Open in Timeline. See if both your audio tracks are in there. The overdub might be disabled (if it's in there.) You should be able to switch them by selecting the French track and typing V, and re-enable the English track by selecting it and typing V.

If you have Quicktime 7 Pro, you can verify if all your tracks are included with the video by opening the file, typing Command - J to open the Properties dialog. You should see a table with columns Enabled, ID, Name etc. -- the Enabled column is a checkbox. The ID will usually be a sequential value for the track number and the Name column will be something like Video Track, Sound Track, Text Track, etc... so you can identify which track is what.

I'd hold off merging audio tracks until you figure out if you actually need to or not. At worst, you might have to export two different versions of the video.

Audio problems importing Garageband project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.